Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

LED signal install - dim flash 06 Aug 2019 11:09 #808803

• AdvEvryWhr
  • AdvEvryWhr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey all! Still playing with the kz550 and adding the final few touches for the moment.

Installed an all in one rear tail light, brake light and turn signals. In conjunction with the factory front incandescent turn signals, everything works fine, correct brightness and normal blink speed. This is with the factory turn signal flasher.

I added some low profile LED turn signals to the front and the turn signals (front and rear) would just stay solid on when switched on. That was with the factory flasher.

I swapped that for the electronic flasher and now the signals blink, but they are very dim when flashing. When I connect the flasher by itself to a 12 volt battery, it lights up brightly.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

LED signal install - dim flash 06 Aug 2019 11:36 #808805

• AdvEvryWhr
  • User
Little update.

So this bike has 2 flashers it appears. One seems to be dedicated to the hazard light position. When I place the electronic flasher in that connector and the turn on the emergency flashers, the unit clicks audibly and all four signals light up brightly and flash at the correct speed.

When it is in the other connector (left side bike under plastic housing) and only 2 turn signals are flashing, they are still dim and flash slowly.

LED signal install - dim flash 06 Aug 2019 12:22 #808806

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
LED´s need a strick +/- polarity, have try to switch the connectors?

LED signal install - dim flash 06 Aug 2019 13:54 #808813

• AdvEvryWhr
  • User
Figured it out. Just went back to my old DR650 days and wired up a Novita EP35 electronic flasher. These are LED compatible. The factory harness connector is correct wiring wise for this flasher with the addition of a ground on the flasher. It does fit a little loose so I clipped the old connector and spliced the correct size female spades. Ran a ground wire from the negative terminal on the flasher to the frame nearby. Keyed hot wire to the positive terminal and the other wire to the middle terminal. All good now.

• Page: