Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

'83 KZ550A3 - rear running lights out, turn signals work 03 Feb 2019 00:02 #798094

• KZ_Josh
  • KZ_Josh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1983 KZ550 A3
  • Thank you received: 0
Greetings! I just returned from an overseas deployment to my trusty '83 KZ550A3; Upon getting back, the bike, with battery fully charged, would die after 1-3 seconds of pressing the starter, before the engine could turn over. The system would be totally dead at that point, with the lights not even coming on. I thought there might be a loose connection or a short of some kind, but I replaced the battery, and that seemed to do the trick--the bike started up, ran great, and I rode it about 10-15 miles over the next few days.

Yesterday, I came out and noticed that my rear running lights were not working. All other lights on the bike working fine, including my turn signals, which utilize the same bulb (1073 Stanley 12v23w). I immediately replaced the bulbs in both turn signals, thinking that was the most simple solution. That didn't do the trick. I began to try and trouble-shoot more, including poking around this forum and online elsewhere. One thing confused me from my research: the bulbs I replaced are both single filament. Is it possible to have running lights and turn signal both run off a single filament bulb? If not, would that mean I am mis-remembering having working rear running lights off the rear turn-signal bulb?

Regardless, I continued on and began trying to find a break in the circuit, beginning at the socket with a hand circuit tester, and following the wires from the light itself. I was focusing on probing areas where wires were connected, and at one point I was trying to free up some wires that were pinched against the frame. Whatever I did, now when I turn the bike on, the hazard lights flash continuously (just rear and front blinker lights flashing simultaneously), without the switch being engaged. So now, I have a bike with no rear running lights, that flashes hazard lights non-stop as soon as the key is turned.

I am well beyond my skill set here, and would be grateful for any assistance or advice from those more knowledgeable than I. Thank you in advance for any insights you have on what may be the problem.
1983 KZ550 A3 , cafe build.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'83 KZ550A3 - rear running lights out, turn signals work 03 Feb 2019 03:07 #798096

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
  • Thank you received: 65
I don't quite understand when you said your "rear running lights" were not working. Stock;the only running light at the rear is the tail light with double filament RED and three wires. The rear directionals ARE NOT SUPPOSED to be running lights and are single filament Orange with two wires. Only the front directionals are also supposed to be running lights with double filament Orange and three wires.

If so.....was there a problem in the first place????

Last edit: by hugo.

'83 KZ550A3 - rear running lights out, turn signals work 03 Feb 2019 06:14 #798105

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Correct. Other than the tail lights there are no rear running lights. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZ_Josh

'83 KZ550A3 - rear running lights out, turn signals work 03 Feb 2019 18:50 #798141

• KZ_Josh
  • User
  • 1983 KZ550 A3
Hugo,

Thanks for your reply. You are correct. I just hadn’t ridden the bike in almost a year and then when I didn’t see rear running lights on the turn signal lights incorrectly assumed i had an issue.

It’s embarrassing to admit out loud, let alone type on a public forum. Now, to compound the injury to my pride, my poking around seems to have created a situation where both blinkers flash simultaneously anytime I turn the bike on. Any ideas what I may have done to cause that and how it can be undone?

Thanks for your insights—much appreciated.

'83 KZ550A3 - rear running lights out, turn signals work 03 Feb 2019 18:53 #798142

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Did you accidentally push the hazard light button? That will make all 4 turn signals flash. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

'83 KZ550A3 - rear running lights out, turn signals work 04 Feb 2019 09:27 #798183

• KZ_Josh
  • User
  • 1983 KZ550 A3
Ed- Thanks again for the reply. I had a bunch of wires and circuits pulled out, and the fuse box open, as I was looking for the issue. When I double-checked the connections and put everything away, the problem went away. I'm not sure what I may have done, but I'm glad the problem has resolved. I appreciate your insights!

• Page: