Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 07 Dec 2018 07:48 #794779

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The tech lines are usually a waste of time, but to be fair, the 77 650 is a one-year anomaly. Wait until you need a regulator for your 750 twin. It is even stranger. .. but the solution is the same... OregonMotorcycleParts has it figured out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 07 Dec 2018 07:59 #794780

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2708
Not that you (650Dude) asked but...the most reliable charging system can be created by 1) purchasing a new 3 phase stator w/o field coil, 2) purchase a rotor off ebay to match, 3) get a SH775 combined R/R. The entire package will cost you $200 or less and return your charging system to better than new condition.

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 07 Dec 2018 08:14 #794781

• 650Dude
  • 650Dude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 19

Nessism wrote: Not that you (650Dude) asked but...the most reliable charging system can be created by 1) purchasing a new 3 phase stator w/o field coil, 2) purchase a rotor off ebay to match, 3) get a SH775 combined R/R. The entire package will cost you $200 or less and return your charging system to better than new condition.

Thanks for the info but over the past 6 months ive spent nearly $5,000 on either buying or fixing bikes. Im all tapped out. Ive reached out to Oregon and plan to buy the voltage regulator and rectifier. Additionally, I cant always work on my bikes myself due to time limitations, and NYC mechanics are crooks.
1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

Last edit: by 650Dude.

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 07 Dec 2018 08:16 #794782

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

Nessism wrote: Not that you (650Dude) asked but...the most reliable charging system can be created by 1) purchasing a new 3 phase stator w/o field coil, 2) purchase a rotor off ebay to match, 3) get a SH775 combined R/R. The entire package will cost you $200 or less and return your charging system to better than new condition.

I don't think this would work unless other changes were made. For example, the 1977 KZ650 dynamo cover is not the same as later models. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 07 Dec 2018 10:18 #794785

• perrykz1000
  • Sustaining Member
  • Have a safe day !!
  • Thank you received: 32
I ageer with "Nessism" !! Best way to go. Replaced mine on my bike (1978 Kawasaki 1000 LTD. Was able to do away with the old regulator AND rectifer with the combination SH775
>>>>>>

Last edit: by perrykz1000.

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 07 Dec 2018 10:25 #794786

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
The bike in question is a 77 Kz650 which is a totally different design than the permanent-magnet alternator designs and would require more than just stator and reg/rec replacement. It would require swapping and possibly modifying an alternator cover, and would require confirmation that you can replace the field inverter rotor with a permanent magnet rotor, which on Kz650's could be questionable on magnet strength as 78 and 79 charging systems using those parts are among the weaker charging systems on Kz's.

As long as the bike in question can pass the service manual tests for the field resistance and regulator-bypass tests, then a new reg/rec is a much simpler, cheaper way to have a high-power charging system.

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 07 Dec 2018 10:30 #794787

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend

...and NYC mechanics are crooks.

There are very few mechanics who know how to work on these old bikes as most mechanics from that era are retired, and young mechanics have no experience with these things. Unless you find a decent old-timer who has spent years and years on these bikes, you will have to do most of the research and work yourself. No one else is going to care as much as you.

We can help with research and information, but you might have to do most of the wrenching yourself to get it done right,

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 07 Dec 2018 10:44 #794789

• 650ed
  • User

perrykz1000 wrote: I ageer with "Nessism" !! Best way to go. Replaced mine on my bike (1978 Kawasaki 1000 LTD. Was able to do away with the old regulator AND rectifer with the combination SH775

That's nice, but your 1978 KZ1000-LTD did not come equipped with a field coil type charging system, so making the change was very different on your KZ1000 compared to what would be involved in making the change on a 1977 KZ650. Ed

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 07 Dec 2018 15:44 #794802

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2708

loudhvx wrote: The bike in question is a 77 Kz650 which is a totally different design than the permanent-magnet alternator designs and would require more than just stator and reg/rec replacement. It would require swapping and possibly modifying an alternator cover, and would require confirmation that you can replace the field inverter rotor with a permanent magnet rotor, which on Kz650's could be questionable on magnet strength as 78 and 79 charging systems using those parts are among the weaker charging systems on Kz's.

As long as the bike in question can pass the service manual tests for the field resistance and regulator-bypass tests, then a new reg/rec is a much simpler, cheaper way to have a high-power charging system.

There are stator covers w/rotor on ebay for cheap, some even come with the stator. The gasket part number goes from 77 to late model so it may even be possible to use later year parts. To be honest, I'm not sure about that detail, but I do know that old electrical parts are always a gamble and the service manual tests are not foolproof when it comes to testing charging system parts. Personally I'd do the upgrade, that way you'd KNOW the system is going to work for a long time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: perrykz1000

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 07 Dec 2018 17:34 #794809

• 650ed
  • User
I totally agree that buying used parts is a bad gamble. The good news is that the parts from Oregon Motorcycle Parts are of the highest quality and carry a guarantee. They cost more than used parts, but they work.

Regarding the Kawasaki service Manual - I don't know about the quality of the instructions in the manuals for all KZ models, but the KZ650B1 / C1 manual was very clear on how to test the components. It enabled me to very easily pinpoint the problem (rectifier) that my KZ650C1 had.

If by upgrade you mean replacing the 1977 KZ650 charging system with that of a later KZ650 - I would not recommend it. The reason is that the 1977 KZ650 charging system works better than the later charging systems. I suspect that even Kawasaki understood that the later KZ650 charging systems were not particularly strong and robust since they changed those systems multiple times trying to find an economical but still reliable replacement for the original system. Ed

Last edit: by 650ed.

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 07 Dec 2018 18:08 #794814

• 650Dude
  • 650Dude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 19

650ed wrote: I totally agree that buying used parts is a bad gamble. The good news is that the parts from Oregon Motorcycle Parts are of the highest quality and carry a guarantee. They cost more than used parts, but they work.

Regarding the Kawasaki service Manual - I don't know about the quality of the instructions in the manuals for all KZ models, but the KZ650B1 / C1 manual was very clear on how to test the components. It enabled me to very easily pinpoint the problem (rectifier) that my KZ650C1 had.

If by upgrade you mean replacing the 1977 KZ650 charging system with that of a later KZ650 - I would not recommend it. The reason is that the 1977 KZ650 charging system works better than the later charging systems. I suspect that even Kawasaki understood that the later KZ650 charging systems were not particularly strong and robust since they changed those systems multiple times trying to find an economical but still reliable replacement for the original system. Ed

Today I bought the original style voltage regulator and original style Rectifier from Tony over at Oregon, at your suggestion. I should have them next week.
1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

Confused. Regulato/Rectifier combo vs. OEM separate Reg/Rec on a KZ650 07 Dec 2018 18:16 #794815

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
I can't remember the exact details, but I seem to recall the 77 alternator cover has the locator pin in a different bolt position than the later ones. If so, that might require a modification. It's possible maybe the same gasket can be used even though the locator pin is at a different bolt location.

EDIT:
The parts diagrams show that both 77 and 78 have locator pins on the lower two cover-mounting bolts.

But ebay images show a different story. The 77 covers have locator pins on the lower two mounting bolts, but the 78 and later covers have one locator on a lower bolt and one locator on an upper bolt. That means you would have to counter drill one of the upper bolt holes for a locator pin on the 77 engine case to fit a later stator cover. Or you can maybe drill one of the holes on the later stator cover to match the engine case.

I don't think it would be worth the trouble since the 77 system has better output when it's working properly anyway, at least the couple I worked on did. In addition to only generating the amount of power the bike needs (rather than burning away the excess), they could achieve 14v at very near idle with the lights on (with stock ignition, but probably not with a Dyna S).

Last edit: by loudhvx.