TOPIC:

KZ ignition question 27 Oct 2018 23:13 #792914

• Ojisan rider
  • Ojisan rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Aloha guys.

I did used the search using "electrical ignition conversion", but almost all the posts are for Dyna system, so here I go.

As the title reads, I need your help with ignition. Due to my original case been old and exposed to weather, broken parts and such, I decided to purchase case through evilbay, and bought myself a case with number KZ750EE027609. From what I searched, this belongs to KZ750 E1 or E2, which I believe it had a point-type ignition.

My KZ/GPz had electrical non-point type ignition and when I was test fitting the magnetic pick-up, the bolt hole on the case and the pick-up didn't match. If I try to match the lower two screws, the top hole is slightly off to the left, and if I put the top screw in, then none of the screws match on the lower. Is the plate holding the points and the magnetic pick-up different?

I can always elongate the top hole, but I know this will throw off ignition timing. Does anybody know what I need to do to make this work aside from getting the point system? Or do I need to purchase later case which came with electrical ignition?
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ ignition question 28 Oct 2018 05:15 #792916

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2677
All the 750 4 cylinder bikes came with electronic ignition standard.

The R1 has a different pulsing coil plate than the 750E/H bikes for some reason (obviously) according to the parts fishe, but I don't know why. The advance unit is the same.

I suspect you will need to slot some holes only I'm not sure which direction. You may need to find TDC on 1-4 and then slot the holes til the 1-4 T mark is aligned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

KZ ignition question 28 Oct 2018 10:39 #792931

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The older electronic pickup timing plate, going back to the Kz650 , had a slot for the top mount. In that slot, the screw ends up at the right edge of the slot on most/all Kz650 and probably early 750.

The important thing is that the point of the rotor is just barely clockwise (maybe a couple degrees) of the pickup-center on the pickup with the black and blue wires (which controls cyl 1 and 4) when the F mark on the advancer lines up with the engine-case pointer.

I think this means you want to file the top mount to extend it toward the right. But the info above will determine for sure what you need to do.

Make sure the advancer is working properly and is not missing the rubber stops before you alter the timing plate too much. The rubber stops will throw off your timing if they are missing.

(Using the same plate to mount on a 550, the screw ends up at the left edge of the top slot. This way the same plate could be used on a 550 or 650, the screws just ended up at different positions in the slot.)

KZ ignition question 28 Oct 2018 18:35 #792951

• Ojisan rider
  • Ojisan rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Thanks guys.

It will be a while I can work on my KZ, for now as my DD driver Lincoln need some attention (need to change water pump). Hopefully, slotting the top hole will work.

Wish me luck.
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

• Page: