Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

kz440 Coil Question 26 Aug 2018 13:03 #789825

• Grcko
  • Grcko's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30
Bike was dying when it warmed up and was hard to restart. It would die after coming to a stop.. I figured it was a coil issue. Other issues put the coil testing on hold. Bike is now running again but when checking the timing I noticed the timing light looked like it was not a steady strobe. Looked like it might me dropping a spark now and then. Put it on the road and it stutters a bit and low power when accelerating. I tested the CDI and it was in specs.Tested the primary winding's while the coil was on the bike and it showed 2.4 Ohms. Thought it might be a dirty connection so I pulled the coil and cleaned the terminals. Still 2.4. I pulled the plug wires off and tested the secondary winding's. Nothing. So I put the coil back on the bike and put a plug on the the wire and turned the motor over. No spark.
WTH? Did it just die?
If it did die, should I get an OEM coil or?
Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
As Always,

1983 KZ440

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kz440 Coil Question 27 Aug 2018 07:21 #789861

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Your coil primary measurement is right on at 2.4 ohms. If it is an original 40 yr old coil, you will probably want a new one regardless. One that old can get you stranded especially if you get caught in a really bad rain. The coils develop micro-cracks over time and will work until they get wet, then you can get stuck.

Fortunately, there are some no-name coils on ebay that exactly match the original factory coils and they are pretty inexpensive. I've been using a pair of them for a few years and have had no problem with them.

You should get new wires too. Get the coil first so you will know what size wires to get.

If money is no object, then you would want a full-size, gray, 2.2 ohm coil from Dyna. That matches your coil electrically, but might require slight mods to mount them.

MEasure the mounting posts of your old coil so you can compare with new coils.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grcko

Last edit: by loudhvx.

kz440 Coil Question 27 Aug 2018 11:16 #789866

• Greybeard
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 26
1982 KZ1100 D-1
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

• Page: