Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Clutch Wiring 24 Aug 2018 08:45 #789683

• Shasta
  • Shasta's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey Guys, Sorry for the newb question. But I have a KZ750e and I am trying to get it to start for the first time. Well not quite there yet but getting close. The problem is the starter button is not firing the starter, nothing happens when pushed.

I checked the battery ground. The run switch is getting power and the starter switch is getting power when the run switch is set to run.

Before I start digging into the starter cylinoid and starter motor I though I would see if its the clutch lever not allowing the button to close the circuit.

I followed the wires from the clutch and one wire is not connected to anything and the other has an iffy connection that does not register on the tester.

How should this be hooked up and is there a way to bypass this so I can try and see if it will turn over?

Pic of the wire below. (hopefully)

1981 KZ750E
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clutch Wiring 24 Aug 2018 10:05 #789685

• Shasta
  • User
I did find the connection that was not connected. But connecting it did not make a difference. So I am still not sure if it is a problem with the clutch switch or with the starter system.
1981 KZ750E

Clutch Wiring 24 Aug 2018 11:29 #789687

• M_a_t_t
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 41
Different bike, but....
I was diagnosing a no start on my bike (83 KZ1100) and even in neutral if I didn't have the clutch pulled the starter relay wouldn't click. Might be the same for your bike. That's how I knew my clutch switch was working. My problem was my starter.
83 KZ1100A (shaft)
17 Versys X 300 abs
81 kz650h1
81 kz750e2
90 Honda CBR600F (brother's)

Last edit: by M_a_t_t.

Clutch Wiring 11 Sep 2018 12:17 #790723

• Shasta
  • User
I did find that there is a short or a problem in the wires coming out of the clutch switch. If you press them in the right spot the start button will activate the starter.

But I am still having a problem trying to jump the circuit closed. It seems as though you should just be able to connect the two wire where they connect to the clutch swith wires(see above) but this has not worked. Not sure if it is because there are connectors on the wires and you can just jump the two connectors together. I wouldn't want to do this anyway. But don't want to cut the connectors off till I know I can successfully jump the circuit. I have read some other topics on this and it seems as though I am on the right track. This is my first bike so I don't have any experience with motorcycle wiring.
1981 KZ750E

• Page: