Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Struggling Mightily With My 81 GPz550 Wiring harness. Help ID pics? 08 Apr 2018 19:16 #781508

• chopper1963
  • chopper1963's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I'll say it: I am not smart. I have struggled my whole life with maps and wiring diagrams. My brain just does not work that way.

Here are some photos of my current 1981 GPz550 restore/build. Can anybody tell me what these parts are and WHERE they might go on the bike?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Struggling Mightily With My 81 GPz550 Wiring harness. Help ID pics? 08 Apr 2018 20:03 #781512

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The thing marked "148" is the brakelight failure unit. It makes the stop indicator flash when the bulb is burned out. I can't remember where it goes since I haven't ever had on an my bike.

The second photo is an auxiliary fuse box. It's for adding accessories. If you don't add any electrical parts, those fuses don't get used.
The metal tab with two holes bolts to the frame under the back end of the gas tank. They get bolted up along with the plastic piece that helps hold the airbox lid down against the airbox.

This is the plastic tab. Part number 49098. There are two round notches in the lower corners of that plastic tab. They hold the carb vent hoses which just dead end near the airbox, up under the tank.

It bolts to the frame where the red spots are shown.
Attachments:

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Struggling Mightily With My 81 GPz550 Wiring harness. Help ID pics? 08 Apr 2018 22:10 #781515

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
loudhvx wrote:

The thing marked "148" is the brakelight failure unit. It makes the stop indicator flash when the bulb is burned out. I can't remember where it goes since I haven't ever had on an my bike.

On a Z1B frame the brake light failure unit is located here.

Edit:

I took a closer look into manual and i think i found the right location.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Struggling Mightily With My 81 GPz550 Wiring harness. Help ID pics? 09 Apr 2018 02:45 #781521

• chopper1963
  • chopper1963's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks much. This is helping!

Struggling Mightily With My 81 GPz550 Wiring harness. Help ID pics? 09 Apr 2018 08:56 #781532

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
4th photo. 3 yellow wires & light green wire with flag connector.

3 yellow wires with male bullet terminals >>> connect to 3 yellow stator wires.
Plug them into the female bullet connectors of the stator. Connect yellow to yellow in any order.
In the wiring diagram (for the stator wires) notice that the triangle pointers are the male bullet connectors, while the little rectangles are the female bullet connectors. Little clues like that can help you figure out what's what. On a KZ, 3 yellow wires grouped together are always for the stator.

Light green w flag connector >>> neutral switch. Push the flag connector onto the end of the neutral switch terminal. It should be a snug fit. If loose, lightly crimp the flag connector but don't crush it. Be sure to clean up the neutral switch if necessary: it's usually covered in grunge from drive chain sling. In the wiring diagram there is a triangle pointer directly on the neutral switch: this indicates a male terminal on the neutral switch itself. On many 4-cyl KZs the light green neutral switch wire is usually routed with the 3 yellow stator wires because the neutral switch & stator are near each other on the motorcycle.

26001-1202 wire sub-harness
3 yellow wires (stator). light green w flag connector (neutral switch). reg-rec 6-pin connector.

1981 KZ550-D1 GPz wiring diagram from loudhvx motorcycle stuff website
s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Mnls/Kz400500550...kawKz550D1_UsCan.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: chopper1963

Last edit: by JMKZHI.
  • Page: