• Page:

TOPIC:

Electronic Speedo - 1981 KZ1000K1 02 Oct 2017 05:23 #772170

• freebyrd24
  • freebyrd24's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi everyone,

I have an ongoing problem with my electronic speedo on my 81 KZ1000K1 LTD. So my setup is all electronic, with the unit that attaches to the axle and wires come from that up to the headlight housing. I ran through the testing procedure in the manual and found that the unit on the axle was bad. I picked up a used unit in working condition and everything seemed to be good. I had only put about 6 miles on the bike. I didn't ride the bike for about a month or so after that, as I was fixing other parts on it. So I went out yesterday, and it works,, but only for maybe a tenth of a mile or so, then it just stops (meter just stops and reads 0 while I'm driving). I went to a friends, had the bike off for 15 minutes, started it up, and it worked... for another 2 tenths of a mile. It seems to only work when I first start moving, then quits.

I'm going to rerun the factory test on it, and see what I can find, but does anyone have any ideas? Did I buy another unit that was faulty? Is there any serviceability to these units? I couldn't see anything or get my old one apart yet. Is there something I need to lube or clean or do special when I install this unit on the axle?
- 1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD - Long term project
1075cc Kit - New Wiseco Pistons

Sold:
- 1978 kz650 SR, 4-1 Vance and Hines Full Exhaust, Dyna-S Ignition, Accel Coils and Wires

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Electronic Speedo - 1981 KZ1000K1 02 Oct 2017 15:08 #772195

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
Sorry, but i have to ask which meter (unit) exactly has the failure?
Speedo, Odo, Rev, RPM, Tacho, i am sometimes a little confused about the description of the same meter in different countries around the world.

USA,UK
Speedo (Combo of both instruments?), Trip-, Odometer = Speed/Distance indicator mp(h) / km(h)
Rev-, Tachometer = revolutions per minute

Europe (Germany for me)
Tachometer = Speed indicator mph / kmh
Rev.-meter = revolutions per minute

I think you mean this

Attachments:

Electronic Speedo - 1981 KZ1000K1 02 Oct 2017 17:51 #772213

• freebyrd24
  • freebyrd24's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
You got it right! Your circled drawing is correct. My speedometer which tells me my mph is acting up. And the speed sensor might be the culprit again.

I went through the diagnosis procedure from the service manual and it says replace speed sensor (one on the axle).
- 1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD - Long term project
1075cc Kit - New Wiseco Pistons

Sold:
- 1978 kz650 SR, 4-1 Vance and Hines Full Exhaust, Dyna-S Ignition, Accel Coils and Wires

Electronic Speedo - 1981 KZ1000K1 02 Oct 2017 18:09 #772216

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
Can the speed sensor dismantled or take apart? Pics may help.
Hmm, maybe an option

MVI_1942_2...0-02.mov

Attachments:
  • MVI_1942_2...0-02.mov

Last edit: by Scirocco.
  • Page: