Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Plug wire cap question 15 Jun 2017 06:46 #764433

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
In my experience, adding WD40 will make it rust faster (even though it claims to protect).

The stock electronic ignition was prone to occasional misfire. The vibration of one side firing would sometimes trigger a firing in the other side, due to magnetic crosstalk in the pickups. I noticed when I converted to HEI modules, that symptom went away.

To see it, use a timing light, like SWest said. You will see a good image of the rotorin one position, but when the misfire happens you will see a ghost image of the rotor in another position.

There are probably a few other things that can be done to fix that, without having to make a new igniter.

Also, make sure the springs are not too weak or loose. That can cause some randomness in the firing as well. Make sure the advance works at the specified rate in the FSM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Plug wire cap question 15 Jun 2017 07:40 #764438

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2627
Can you suggest a few? What about the Dyna S, does it have this issue?
Steve

Plug wire cap question 15 Jun 2017 08:30 #764442

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The Dyna S shouldn't have this issue.

One possible remedy could be to increase the gap between the rotor point and the pickup center. That would reduce the sensitivity of the pickups.

Another possible remedy, but perhaps more of an academic exercise, might be to put a voltage divider in the pickup wiring. Done properly it would reduce the amplitude of the false signals. But there are impedance issues to keep in mind and you don't want to reduce the signal too much as that would make for harder starting.

You can also reduce the magnetic intensity by possibly using a steel screw in place of one of the brass screws on the pickup plate.

But all of these options need to be studied before being implemented.

Both of the igniters I designed were less sensitive to the false signals, but there appears at least two different production runs of KZ pickup plates with differing output levels. One set has higher output than the other. So it could be a matter of matching pickups to igniters.
s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZignitionMod.html
s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Plug wire cap question 18 Jun 2017 05:10 #764657

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Jussumguy wrote: . . . I guess my question is, are the stock caps resistor? . . . .

Am pretty sure the stock caps do have a built-in resistor.

If in doubt, can use an ohmmeter to determine resistance, if any, in a cap.

Resistor style caps should be used together with solid-core (non-resistance) plug wires and non-R spark plugs. Which is how it came from the factory.

Dyna solid-core plug wires come with non-resistor caps. If a resistance component is desired incident to using the solid-core plug wires with non-resistor caps, R-type spark plugs may be used to provide the resistance component in the secondary loop.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, Jussumguy

Last edit: by Patton.

Plug wire cap question 22 Jul 2017 21:34 #767515

• Jussumguy
  • Jussumguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
It turned out to be vacume leaks at manifold to head area and vacume leak at petcock. Cleaned and tightened and runs nice now. Thanks for the help!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Plug wire cap question 23 Jul 2017 08:41 #767537

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
Most guys will probably use the wire connector terminals that come with the Dyna stuff. I did & used a ratcheting crimper to make good connections. no ignition problems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jussumguy

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Plug wire cap question 23 Jul 2017 12:06 #767547

• Jussumguy
  • Jussumguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
Ya I was over analyzing the thing. I should have gone after vacume leaks from the start.

• Page: