Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1981 KZ650 CSR: Left turn signal stays lit 19 May 2017 18:39 #762244

• Cata2k
  • Cata2k's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So I put Euro bars on my KZ650 CSR, and mounted my turn signals to the forks. At first they seemed to work perfect. Now, for some reason, the left signal stays lit, like a little orange headlight. It will still blink, but instead of going "off-on-off" it goes "on-brighter-on".

I think I've isolated the problem to the signal itself, since when I connected the leads for the right (working) signal to the harness leads for the left signal, the signal worked perfectly. But when I opened up my broken signal I couldn't find anything wrong with it, besides rust and corrosion. I checked the grounding with a lantern battery by hooking the ground wire to one terminal, and touching a multimeter to the housing and the other battery terminal. I got voltage.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Cata2k.

1981 KZ650 CSR: Left turn signal stays lit 20 May 2017 05:22 #762262

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
I don't know specifically about the 650CSR, but the Kawasakis I have owned use a dual filament bulb in the front signals. When running, the low wattage elements are lit all the time and act like running lights. When I pushe the signal switch they act exactly as youndescribe ... On-bright-on . I think the problem you have is on the other side. Probably the low wattage filament is burned out or it is the wrong bulb.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

1981 KZ650 CSR: Left turn signal stays lit 20 May 2017 10:25 #762295

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1622
The front turn signals also serve as running lights, so they should come on & stay on when the ignition switch is on. They have dual filament bulbs: one filament stays on & the other flashes when using the turn signals or hazards.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

1981 KZ650 CSR: Left turn signal stays lit 20 May 2017 16:39 #762330

• Cata2k
  • User

TexasKZ wrote: I don't know specifically about the 650CSR, but the Kawasakis I have owned use a dual filament bulb in the front signals. When running, the low wattage elements are lit all the time and act like running lights. When I pushe the signal switch they act exactly as youndescribe ... On-bright-on . I think the problem you have is on the other side. Probably the low wattage filament is burned out or it is the wrong bulb.

The front turn signals also serve as running lights, so they should come on & stay when the ignition switch is on. They have dual filament bulbs: one filament stays on & the other flashes when using the turn signals or hazards.

Thanks guys, this may very well be the case- but when I bought and test drove the bike (Only a couple weeks ago) I don't remember the turn signals being running lights, too. I'll double check and report back. Perhaps the broken one is actually the working one...

1981 KZ650 CSR: Left turn signal stays lit 20 May 2017 17:30 #762333

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1622
You don't seem convinced. hee. I have the same bike. What we've described is the stock wiring & that's the way the turn signals work from the factory. The front turn signals are 2-wire & the rear are single wire (plus each turn signal has a ground wire).

i.imgur.com/nxc8yZE.jpg .... large version. click then click the image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cata2k

Last edit: by martin_csr.

1981 KZ650 CSR: Left turn signal stays lit 22 May 2017 08:52 #762472

• Cata2k
  • User

martin_csr wrote: You don't seem convinced. hee. I have the same bike. What we've described is the stock wiring & that's the way the turn signals work from the factory. The front turn signals are 2-wire & the rear are single wire (plus each turn signal has a ground wire).

i.imgur.com/nxc8yZE.jpg .... large version. click then click the image.

OK, great, that makes sense and puts me one step closer to solving the puzzle.

I switched the bulbs around and the right signal still doesn't function as a running light. So my bulb isn't burned out. I haven't had time yet to investigate further, but I'll post an update when I do. Thanks for helping me clear that up!

• Page: