Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Ignition system? 28 Apr 2017 01:05 #760456

• Axelhe
  • Axelhe's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHere is one more exactly the same coil as mine, and the seller says that it is for a 440! So The 440 has the exact same ignition system as mine!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Axelhe.

Ignition system? 28 Apr 2017 06:51 #760473

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
I suspect any 12 volt dual-output coil with the same resistance in the primary winding (ohms) would work just fine. Should of course be sure that the chassis will accommodate whatever mounting arrangement the coil requires (it would be preferable and easier to install when keeping the stock coil physical design and mounting configuration) .

Use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance of the coil's primary winding:

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Z400-R1 suddenly runs badly/wont start 25 May 2017 23:38 #762746

• Axelhe
  • User
Well, I replaced the ignition coil with a new one and it started, but ran just as bad as before.
Then just to try it I bought new spark plugs... then it fired right up, no problems...
I surely hope that the coil did some difference otherwise all this was a waste. But the sparks I removed was brand new, I just went on one single ride with them, I did not think that they could get ruined that fast!
Oh well, the bike starts and Im happy! Lets see if the new plugs also breaks, wonder what that could be that kills the sparks...

Ignition system? 25 May 2017 23:41 #762747

• Axelhe
  • User
I bought a new coil from eBay... it did no difference...

BUT! I replaced the spark plugs, that did ALL the difference! It fired right up, no problems!
So it was a easy fix, but it did not occur to me because the plugs where new, I went on just one ride with them,

Ignition system? 25 May 2017 23:54 #762748

• zak900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4

Axelhe wrote: I bought a new coil from eBay... it did no difference...

BUT! I replaced the spark plugs, that did ALL the difference! It fired right up, no problems!
So it was a easy fix, but it did not occur to me because the plugs where new, I went on just one ride with them,

Where did you get the original plugs from as there is an abundance of Chinese counterfeit NGK plugs out there
Let the good times keep rollin'
1976 KZ900 A4

Ignition system? 26 May 2017 00:12 #762749

• Axelhe
  • User
I got the plugs from a local dealer. A big company... I think (hope) that they have good sources...

Ignition system? 26 May 2017 09:18 #762777

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
"Bad Coil" was a misdiagnosis.
Perhaps "Bad Spark Plugs" is a also a misdiagnosis.

Are old worn-out hard and cracked plug wires still fitted, which could be causing the misfiring?
When there's the potential of high tension plug wire shorting, the extent of voltage leakage can vary depending on how the plug wires are routed in relation to their positioning in contact with the valve cover or other grounds.
New plug wires resolve the issue because they don't short even when they're resting on (in contact with) the valve cover.

The Dyna plug wires offered at Z1E are good choices for new replacement plug wires. And have sure worked well for me.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Z400-R1 suddenly runs badly/wont start 26 May 2017 16:00 #762800

• Bah
  • User
right i have the 750 four the systems are basically the same buy new coils and either a dyna s ignition or as i use a boyer bransden micro digital the boyer is 140 quid and is available from z power for 400s to 1100 they are the same box the red one .the dyna s is on ebay for 120 quid and most kwaka guys i know recommend these as there neater option messin around with old or second hand systems is a roundabout of pain . new plugs coils and igniter eliminates 90percent of ignition probs . any others are bad wires and earths bite the bullet its wallet depression but worth it tick over is smoother starting is easy and timing is taken care of for you at all revs dont buy a second hand box they are only sold cozz they dont work right who would take a good one off their bike??? with the boyer i like to remove the spring advancer and drill a cross hole in the rotor to accept a pin either side of the shaft to prevent unwanted slippage this locates in the groove on the end of the shaft dont rely on the bolt

Z400-R1 suddenly runs badly/wont start 26 May 2017 16:07 #762801

• Bah
  • User
shit didnt read last posts sorry still worth having though lol plugs can be damaged from new out of every 4 i buy generally at least one is damaged in transit its a pain in the asssss