Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Ignition system? 26 Apr 2017 08:56 #760295

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Yes, the newer coils must charge faster because the electronic ignition uses shorter dwell. It may be more efficient and may give better spark at high RPMs. You need coils that are in the range of 2.2 ohms to 3.0 ohms. The points coils were 4 ohms.

By the way, the ignition is not CDI even though it is very often mislabeled as such. It is actually a transistorized Kettering ignition. AKA transistorized flyback. Very very few Kz's actually had CDI. On your average street bike, Kettering makes more sense.

The Dyna S aftermarket ignition is also a transistorized Kettering, in case you've considered that option, but many people still insist on calling it CDI .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ignition system? 26 Apr 2017 11:20 #760305

• Axelhe
  • Axelhe's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Oh... Ok. That sucks, how can I now find coils that will work? To search for Z400-R1 (witch i have) gives me nothing. But the Z440 also uses the transistorized system. Can I use a coil that fits a Z440?

Ignition system? 26 Apr 2017 12:21 #760307

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Ignition system? 26 Apr 2017 12:23 #760308

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Axelhe wrote: Hi, I think something is wrong with the ignintion system on my Z400-R1 1982.
I can find brand new ignition coils on ebay for z400 up to 1979. But from 1981 all bikes has a transistorized ignition system. Does this mean that there is some difference between the coils?

I think I will by a new CDI also, but they are more expencive and always pre-owned :(

What's wrong and what's basis for blaming the coil?

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

Ignition system? 26 Apr 2017 14:27 #760320

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI think these are the ones I use. They work great and were cheap!
Check the physical dimension in the listing.

Just confirming... yours is an inline 4 Kz400, correct? If so, it has nothing to do with the Kz400 twin or the 440 twin, really.

Z400-R1 suddenly runs badly/wont start 27 Apr 2017 00:56 #760361

• Axelhe
  • User
Oh well, I connected both the coil and the "CDI" directly to the battery and had good hope. But the result was no different :(
Just got a weak spark now and then...
So it must lay in the actual ignition system.
But one thing I have noticed during this is that it gets worse and worse! Now it almost never gives a spark anymore!

Ignition system? 27 Apr 2017 01:08 #760362

• Axelhe
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Patton wrote:
What's wrong and what's basis for blaming the coil?

Good Fortune! :)

The bike started to run badly, and now it wont start. When i check the spark I don't get a spark for every turn of the crank, just now and then, This also gets worse and worse. I have tried to power the coils and the "CDI" directly from the battery and gave pulses directly from another battery rather than the pickup, but it gives me the same result. As discussed here;
www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/605649-z4...ly-wont-start#760361

And Loudhvx: No my z400 is a twin! With only one coil. Exactly as the one you showed.
Mine is this one:
But only one!

Ignition system? 27 Apr 2017 02:08 #760363

• Axelhe
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHmm if the z400 J uses the same coil as mine has I would be able to use a after market part for the J!

Ignition system? 27 Apr 2017 05:55 #760372

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
If the 400J has electronic ignition, then that coil may work. I would ask the seller what the resistance specification is.
A 1980 model could have points ignition which would use a coil with a higher resistance, usually 4.0 ohm.

The coil loudhvx linked is a universal fit ignition coil intended for electronic ignition & the resistance matches the stock Kawasaki coils used on models with electronic ignition.

Edit: I searched the following site by Z400 -->> J1 1980. They have a bunch of ignition coils listed.
This one has the same part number as the one you linked from the uk. The resistance is a little higher than the coil linked by loudhvx, but that shouldn't be a problem. ... motorcycleproducts.co.uk -- 713793

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Ignition system? 27 Apr 2017 08:57 #760387

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
I had to research the 400 R. We did not get that bike in the U.S.

I assumed it was an update of the 400J (inline-4), but it's actually more like a 440 twin. Sorry about that.

If the coil is like the old Kz400 twins, it will not be swappable with a Kz400J coil. If I recall, the stud spacing is different and the coil overall was smaller on the twin. So it may be beneficial to actually measure the stud spacing and maybe get an overall measurement to make sure any new coil you get will fit in the frame.

A photo of the pickup and igniter might help as well. Some later (82-83) Kz twins did in fact have CDI ignitions, so we want to make sure what you have. A wiring diagram would also show us what type of ignition it is. Based on your description, though, it is most likely a transistorized Kettering, as we've assumed.

If you are inclined, you can test it on a bench with some extra wire and a good battery. You just need the pickup, igniter, and coil.

When you get a chance, it will probably help to put your model and year in your signature area. Also include the fact that it's a twin. That way, forgetfull, confused people, like me, can see it clearly. :)

There are a few ignition related topics going right now and it's hard to keep them all straight. :)

Note to myself: this is the original thread for this problem.
www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/605649-z4...ly-wont-start#760388

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Z400-R1 suddenly runs badly/wont start 27 Apr 2017 09:01 #760388

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Note to myself. THIS BIKE IS A TWIN!

:)

There is a separate thread going for this ignition problem.
www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/605769-ignition-system

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Ignition system? 28 Apr 2017 00:36 #760455

• Axelhe
  • User
Alright! Ofcourse should I post some pictures! That will clearify everything.
The reason that I think the z400J coils would work is because the pre-owned coils I posted earlier has the exact same writing on them, so if that is origial for a J, then J and R1 has the same.
Also yes, the R1 seem very much like a 440 because they share the exact same igniter. SH347.

The R1 seems to be some wierd european version we got here in Sweden where I live, but it's almost impossible to find information about it. But from what I have gathered on KZ400.com, it is almost exactly the same as H3, but I can't find stuff for that either.
Here is the wiring diagram for it.
www.kz400.com/Techh%20tips%20bilder/Wiri...agrams/kz400-H32.jpg
Attachments: