• Page:

TOPIC:

I have a kz650 engine and I need wiring help 08 Dec 2016 21:08 #749804

• studerman1
  • studerman1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Quick update and some more questions. Thanks for all the help so far

I cleaned all the carbs completely and wired all of the coils and igniter together
Questions:
-What plugs and wires do I need for this engine?
-I don't understand the clutch mechanism at all on this engine, please explain
-how to wire the generator (I found the 3 wires coming from the generator just no Idea how to get them to charge the battery)
If you see I'm missing any parts I have a donor motor so please mention something.

Is this harness needed for the motor to run

Attachment 20161208_204259.jpg not found

overall shot of the motor

Would like to understand how this works:

Attachment 20161208_204237.jpg not found

Attachment 20161208_204235.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by studerman1.

I have a kz650 engine and I need wiring help 08 Dec 2016 21:40 #749807

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 111
Do you have a Service manual? A lot of public librarys have them for motorcycles. Might get lucky an your local might even have one for your engine. The 3 yellow wires connect to a voltage regulator/rectifier. These engines have alternaters, not generaters. You will also need a starter relay and battery and associated switches.. KZ650.info has wireing diagrams.
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

I have a kz650 engine and I need wiring help 09 Dec 2016 05:21 #749811

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1625

By studerman1: Quick update and some more questions. Thanks for all the help so far....

note: see my previous reply about a reg-rec, manual & wiring diagram. In you last post:

1st photo is the voltage regulator wire harness. the reg-rec plugs into the connector. the 3 yellow wires connect to the 3 yellow stator wires. The brown wire connects to the brown wire terminal of the main harness & acts as the sensor wire for the reg-rec. A black-yellow wire is a ground wire for the reg-rec. The flag terminal goes to the neutral switch & the other end connects to the main wire harness terminal for the neutral switch (green wire w red tracer). ... edited

2nd photo. clutch cable. search eebbaayy for KZ650 engine sprocket cover. It should be apparent how to connect a clutch cable to the mechanism. the small hole in the end is for a cotter pin which helps to keep the cable end in place. The clutch cover must be properly secured for the mechanism to work. when you pull in the lever to disengage the clutch, the mechanism pushes against the clutch pushrod which contacts a steel ball. if you remove the pushrod for cleaning & lubrication, I don't know if the steel ball can roll out. just be aware.

3rd photo. starting at left. stator bullet terminals --- connect to the voltage reg wire harness. cable clamp/guide. clutch pushrod. neutral switch diagonally below the pushrod. shift pedal shaft w splined end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: studerman1

Last edit: by martin_csr.

I have a kz650 engine and I need wiring help 09 Dec 2016 05:25 #749812

• studerman1
  • studerman1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for this info

I have a kz650 engine and I need wiring help 09 Dec 2016 05:39 #749813

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1625
The manual will list the spark plugs. NGK B7ES. or ND W22ESU or something like that.
7mm copper core spark plug wires are typically recommended. The auto parts store probably has something. someone here on KZR got a set of Omni spark plug wires that had boots which fit over the Dyna coil towers. not sure how they'd work with the stock coils. Z1Enterprises.com has spark plugs & plug wire and other maintenance stuff for the engine. I would change the oil & filter.

Note: the stock coils have o-rings n stuff, so be sure to reuse that hardware so they'll be water proof. A HF metric o-ring kit may have the correct sizes if yours are shot.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

I have a kz650 engine and I need wiring help 09 Dec 2016 14:53 #749842

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
What is the engine # stamped behind the cylinders, right side, top of crankcase?

Some info from a service manual:

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Last edit: by rstnick.

I have a kz650 engine and I need wiring help 09 Dec 2016 15:13 #749844

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Some more:

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Last edit: by rstnick.

I have a kz650 engine and I need wiring help 09 Dec 2016 15:29 #749847

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The clutch adjuster may be the ball-pocket type. This adjusts differently from the screw type.

If it is the ball-pocket type, here is how it works. This is detail for the 550's but the 650 is probably similar. But use the correct 650 manual for instructions. This is just to get an idea of how it works:

gpzweb.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/ClutchReleaseMech.GIF

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: