Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1976 KZ750 no spark 16 May 2015 06:33 #672346

• Modrummer
  • Modrummer's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys, just got a 1976 KZ750 for free from a family friend. It ran fine when he put it away (15 years ago!!) but it has issues now. The first of which is no spark at the plugs (using an auto spark tester).

I checked my ignition coil and I have 12v there and the coil also shows 4.3 ohms of resistance. What else should I check?

btw, all fuses are good, i just checked them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1976 KZ750 no spark 16 May 2015 06:40 #672347

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
  • Thank you received: 23
The wires themselves may have become brittle? Clip off a very small (1/4") of each end and re attach the connectors. They should screw on and off the wire....

Also, 4.3 ohms seems a bit high on resistance for the cpoils, I think they are normally under 3 ohms, but I'm also not familiar with that year kz....

Do u have a factory service manual on the way?
1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

1976 KZ750 no spark 16 May 2015 10:13 #672368

• Modrummer
  • User

Randombeat wrote: The wires themselves may have become brittle? Clip off a very small (1/4") of each end and re attach the connectors. They should screw on and off the wire....

Also, 4.3 ohms seems a bit high on resistance for the cpoils, I think they are normally under 3 ohms, but I'm also not familiar with that year kz....

Do u have a factory service manual on the way?

I'll give that a shot. Also I think I'll replace the condensor, points, and ingition coil to be safe, is there a good resource for getting those parts (like a specific KZ store?) or do most people just get aftermarket from ebay?

I'll look into finding a service manual.

Thanks

1976 KZ750 no spark 16 May 2015 16:51 #672405

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
www.z1enterprises.com is one place to try for parts, and www.reproductiondecals.com is another website.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

1976 KZ750 no spark 16 May 2015 20:49 #672444

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

Modrummer wrote: Hey guys, just got a 1976 KZ750 for free from a family friend. It ran fine when he put it away (15 years ago!!) but it has issues now. The first of which is no spark at the plugs (using an auto spark tester).

I checked my ignition coil and I have 12v there and the coil also shows 4.3 ohms of resistance. What else should I check?

Check the aerodynamics of the coil as it flies through the air on it's way to the dumpster. Replace with any decent 4 - 5 Ohm coil. Also, change the condenser and check the points.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

1976 KZ750 no spark 17 May 2015 06:22 #672463

• Modrummer
  • User

bountyhunter wrote:

Modrummer wrote: Hey guys, just got a 1976 KZ750 for free from a family friend. It ran fine when he put it away (15 years ago!!) but it has issues now. The first of which is no spark at the plugs (using an auto spark tester).

Check the aerodynamics of the coil as it flies through the air on it's way to the dumpster. Replace with any decent 4 - 5 Ohm coil. Also, change the condenser and check the points.

Ok question, do I only have one coil on my bike (I can only find one and it appears both spark plug wires run from it)? If so, does someone have a link to the correct replacement coil? I was googling and read that it should be a 4 ohm coil, but Z1 lists 3 ohm coils. Can anyone confirm?

1976 KZ750 no spark 17 May 2015 06:37 #672466

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

1976 KZ750 no spark 17 May 2015 07:24 #672474

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
Clean the points with a nail file and see what happens. There should be no sparking at the points or the condensers are bad. A new coil is good but there are less expensive 5 ohm coils available that don't require new wires etc.
Steve

1976 KZ750 no spark 17 May 2015 07:58 #672479

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Note that un-grounding of the coil's primary winding is the event that's supposed to send high tension voltage throughout the secondary loop.

While the coil's primary winding is grounded through the points or electronic ignition,
the coil charges. For example, while the points are closed.

When the coil's primary winding becomes un-grounded (for example, when the points open), the coil fires.

Both spark plugs are supposed to always fire simultaneously.

Failure (for whatever reason) of the primary winding to be successively grounded and un-grounded by the points or electronic ignition results in no coil firing throughout the secondary circuit.

Any disruption in the secondary loop (for whatever reason, such as bad plug wire, bad plug, bad plug cap, bad connection between plug wire and plug cap, bad connection between plug cap and plug, bad connection between plug wire and coil, etc.) results in no coil firing throughout the secondary circuit.

Here's an example of a disruption in the secondary loop:

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

1976 KZ750 no spark 17 May 2015 13:12 #672510

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

Modrummer wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

Ok question, do I only have one coil on my bike (I can only find one and it appears both spark plug wires run from it)? If so, does someone have a link to the correct replacement coil? I was googling and read that it should be a 4 ohm coil, but Z1 lists 3 ohm coils. Can anyone confirm?

stock coil is 4 Ohm, you can use 4 or 5. Going down to 3 Ohms will make everything (including the new coil) run very hot.

This is the perfect replacement which unfortunately is no longer available from any outlet.

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...zuki&item=EM24-72451
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

1976 KZ750 no spark 17 May 2015 13:42 #672514

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThere may be a some on ebay
Looks like one here from California. Same part # as theone at Z1
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Last edit: by JR.

1976 KZ750 no spark 17 May 2015 16:06 #672540

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

If resistance between the spark plug caps is within specs, the existing old ignition coil should be good enough to start the engine.

Could also consider having the ignition coil tested (usually for free) at a Kawasaki dealership that has a Kawasaki electrotester, which determines the coil's ability to produce sparks under load.

I suspect that the ignition is failing to ground and un-ground the coil's primary wiring as it's supposed to do. In which event, a brand new coil and plug wires, caps and plugs, still won't produce sparks at the plugs.

Have you cleaned the contacts on the points and set the gap to specs?
If not, dirty contacts can fail to function toward their essential purpose of grounding and un-grounding the ignition coil's primary winding, resulting in no spark at the plugs.

Have you statically set the ignition timing?

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Page: