Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

RECTIFIER, REGULATOR PROBLEM 06 Jul 2006 14:44 #59715

• JAILBAIT
  • JAILBAIT's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1977 kz 1000 that I am putting a turbo on, this is going to have the most basic of electtric system, I have bought a regulator from a 1980 bike that is all in one, I just have a few questions. I have 3 yellow wires that will go to the alternator, I have 1 black wire that is ground, then my delema is I have 1 brown and 1 white w/ red stripe. I don't know where to hook these wires up? anyone have any bright ideas. I have tried to look at some wiring diagrams but they were no help. Any help would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RECTIFIER, REGULATOR PROBLEM 06 Jul 2006 15:20 #59723

• vic44139
  • User
Far as I know, the white/red are running from main (hot) and the brown is the 10amp posi to power 10amp shit like tail lights.Thought there was a brown also running from the fuse box.

RECTIFIER, REGULATOR PROBLEM 07 Jul 2006 05:46 #59869

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
white and brown switch hot 12dcv+
3 yellow to the ac generator
black ground
done

RECTIFIER, REGULATOR PROBLEM 07 Jul 2006 06:04 #59872

• JAILBAIT
  • JAILBAIT's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks for the info guys that will really help, hopefully I can post some pics soon of a finished project

RECTIFIER, REGULATOR PROBLEM 07 Jul 2006 07:12 #59889

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
White is not normaly switched. It is the power output from the rec/reg. It has a huge current output so can melt many switches. It normally goes to the battery positive through the connection on the starter solenoid.

The brown is a voltage detection input to the rec/reg. It gets switched 12 volts and is usually tapped into the ignition power ... or any other 12 volt source that is "on" when the bike is "on", and "off" when the bike is "off". I don't recommend tying it to the tail light since some of these bikes have a parking-light option that can leave the tail light on when the ignition is off.

RECTIFIER, REGULATOR PROBLEM 07 Jul 2006 08:10 #59906

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
White is not switched... it is what is going to charge your battery (to main battery terminal and also go to your ignition switch. It is generally going through the 20A main fuse to get to the ignition switch. Once at the ignition switch, it becomes switched power as it usually comes out in the BLUE, BROWN and RED circuits on most KZs... in other words, white into ignition switch and blue, brown, red out providing switched power to all components that are powered when the ignition switch is turned on. The colors of the switched circuits vary by model.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

RECTIFIER, REGULATOR PROBLEM 08 Jul 2006 05:15 #60145

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I'd put all positive connections through a switching device,and fuses of proper amprage duty.
You did say a most basic electrical system on your project right?
leaving the white energized at all times is a judgement call, it is not manditory just more complicated if you are making the wiring loom.
I like to know everything is disconnected when it is shut off. wouldn't you ??

• Page: