Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dyna. Mo hum. 05 Jul 2006 14:14 #59538

• RoMoMoTo
  • RoMoMoTo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
After diagnosing a bad pickup coil, I went ahead and ordered a Dyna S (DS2-1) for my KZ1100 shaft. The instructions on installing the rotor say: "...this magnet must face to the left when the 1-4 side on the advance assembly is pointing up." Well, that's 180 degrees off; I had to reverse its orientation to make it fire correctly. Anyone else have this experience?
Anyway, after I reversed the rotor it fired right up. As others have reported, I had to pivot the backing plate to the end of its slots to get 1-4 timed, even after moving the 1-4 pickup around on the plate. My question is, if I use the "F" mark to set 1-4 at idle, how do I set 2-3? The only mark on the other side of the advance assembly is a "T" mark, obviously not useable for this chore.
Also, since I wired the Dyna directly to the coils with new wiring, my tach no longer works. Can I just jump a lead off one of the timed coil wires to the tach?
Finally, in trying to dial in 1-4 at full advance, my timing light cuts out when I rev the engine. Is it just a crappy light, or is there something else involved?
So many questions...
Thanks in advance.

RoMoMoTo

1982 KZ1100 shaft
Other bikes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna. Mo hum. 06 Jul 2006 09:56 #59661

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
There are several things that can cause the timing to be 180 out. Most common cause is swapped spark-coil wires. No big deal really, just not stock.

Dyna. Mo hum. 06 Jul 2006 16:23 #59727

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Since you were working on the wiring I bet that's when it happened.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Dyna. Mo hum. 06 Jul 2006 18:12 #59757

• RoMoMoTo
  • RoMoMoTo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Actually, I made sure to wire it up the same as it was previously, but as the P.O. did some odd wiring elsewhere on the bike, it wouldn't surprise me if he'd swapped the coil wires.
No biggie, indeed.
Anyway, what marks does one use to time 2&3?
RoMoMoTo

Dyna. Mo hum. 06 Jul 2006 18:18 #59760

• WharfRat
  • User
:laugh: A real poncho,not a Sear's poncho. Sorry, I had too!!:woohoo: :woohoo:
Kenosha,WI
1979 KZ 400B2
1980 KZ 750 E1
1979 KZ 650 B3

• Page: