• Page:

TOPIC:

stator cover !!! 05 Jul 2006 12:10 #59509

• steveo_4192003
  • steveo_4192003's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 77kz650b-1
  • Thank you received: 1
do i have to drain the oil to check stator?

how do i get that cover off?
i assune i looking for any wires that broke/undone,ect..
if all looks good i assume i will need a new one.
this is for a 77 kz650 b-1 all stock
1977 kz650b-1, 4-2exhaust systetm, pod filters ,jetted 112 main, 17.5 pilot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

stator cover !!! 05 Jul 2006 12:22 #59513

• cary
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
no. you can do what I do, take off the right-side muffler, tank, and right side cover. Then just GENTLY lay it down on the right side in some grass. All the oil will pool on the right side. A sis-fity like yours oughtta be pretty easy to get back up.

stator cover !!! 05 Jul 2006 12:24 #59515

• cary
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
before you do anything rash though, go through the charging system troubleshooting step in your shop manual. you could have a loose connection or some kinda bad rectifier box.

stator cover !!! 05 Jul 2006 12:47 #59520

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Been a few years since I owned a 650 but i don't recall having to drain oil to take off stator cover. Disconnect wiring from reg/rect first. It is a snug fit around alternator and may be stuck/glued on by gasket. A slight whack with rubber mallet should suffice. Have bike on centerstand. The 900's have starter gear behind alternator and need to splash lube some oil to gear so there is a passage to engine internal. I do not believe there is a passage on the 650. Like I said been a few years (20-22).

stator cover !!! 05 Jul 2006 13:29 #59531

• kawsakiman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
you don't have to drain the oil. the stator is dry.i'm assuming you mean the left cover and not the clutch cover.imo, if you have oil in your stator there are some bigger problums there, like the shaft seal,which would explain a charging problum.we have the same charging system and i just went through mine for a no charge issue.what exactlly are you looking for because there are tests you can do before condemening the stator.there is a great post you can look up for no charge for a kz400 which i believe has the same system. it's the one i used.very detailed test,it was very helpful
someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

stator cover !!! 05 Jul 2006 16:20 #59555

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 238
There will always be some oil in the stator cover, but it's not part of a regular oil change. The amount there may vary from very little to about 4 oz but will be the exact same whether your crankcase is full of oil or drained. I don't know about leaning a motorcycle on it's side, but a similar but slightly less wild approach is just to lean the motorcycle over away from the cover against a wall or tree ect with the handlebars supporting it, to keep it leaning over somewhat.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Page: