Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Coil power 27 Jun 2006 10:13 #57505

• teddycp
  • teddycp's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Bike (75Z1) with Dyna ignition and coils (less than 1K miles)is running pretty good.However, my plugs are getting sooty. Valves are set ok, compression is ok, carbs are clean, so I took WG's advice and checked the volts to the coils. When I first checked them I got about 10 V. When I checked the power supply (yellow /red wire) to them I got almost 12V so volts are getting that far. Well, after that I took the connection from the electronic ignition ( where the pink wire connects to the yellow/red power wire) apart and found the connection was A-OK. Funny thing though is that without the ignition connected I got 12V at the coils. What I need to find out is why would the voltage to the coils be 2V lower once the whole system is hooked up? Any and all help is appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Coil power 28 Jun 2006 17:11 #57869

• lemo32
  • User
  • The Price of Cool aint cheap
  • Thank you received: 2
I had the exact problem with my kz900 i have sent my dyna s back to dyna tek, they said it could be shorting to ground. Ill let you know what they say, it should be within the next day or two that i hear from them.
1979 kz 1000 06 katana 750

Coil power 28 Jun 2006 17:55 #57886

• teddycp
  • User
Thanks lemo32! I was begining to think I was the only one in the world that had this problem. Sure hope Dyna comes back with an answer.

Coil power 28 Jun 2006 20:06 #57937

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The Dyna ignition draws current when the motor is turning or not, as long as the switch is on. With the ignition disconnected, there is no current so there is no voltage drop.

There should be no voltage drop if there is no current.

Your voltage drop could be the result of bad connections or a ballast resistor which should be removed.

Make sure it's not because the battery is low. When there is a voltage drop at the coils, measure the voltage on the battery to make sure the battery is at 12 volts.

Coil power 29 Jun 2006 07:08 #58026

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Teddy, I suspect when you took apart that connector it was that blue thing that Dyna provides... the blades just chomp into the wiring insulation to provide a splice. These connectors are notoriously miserable for failure. I suggest you solder the power wires that go to the coils and Dyna S... I suspect that blue crimp thing is your problem.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Coil power 29 Jun 2006 07:24 #58032

• lemo32
  • User
If you got a multimeter, place one lead on your
backing plate of your dyna s and one lead to the green wire coming out of the dyna, should be no resistance.
also can check the black wire should be the same no resistance. does not matter which lead you use.

Coil power 30 Jun 2006 05:16 #58220

• teddycp
  • User
Well, after lots of test's on both the ignition and coils, Dyna has finally said send the ignition back! Got lots of resistence from plate to neg wires. Hopefully elimanating that will solve the loss of voltage problem.

Coil power 30 Jun 2006 12:28 #58314

• wiredgeorge
  • User
I guess if the ignition is shorted and shows lots of resistance, it could drop the overall voltage to the coils if you have it teed. Seems to me that Dyna tech support could have seen this coming... this can't be all that uncommon. Good luck and keep us posted!
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Coil power 30 Jun 2006 17:37 #58364

• lemo32
  • User
poor poor dyna, there gonna get these units back by the dozens now. they gonna hate kz riders before this is done. Im still waitng on the verdict on mine but the thing can cause voltage drops and that im sure of.

Coil power 01 Jul 2006 08:52 #58497

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
yep those dynas' are great huh? just a weak battery or a really hot day will be the beginning of the end of that pretty electric unit you forked precious denerio for. couldnt get timed, intermittent fault and so on and so on. I have a kawasaki part kit that will snap a 50,000 volt blue spark and no revlimiter. ign coils, pick up coils, backing plate, brain box, it is the best battery point system replacement for old kawasaki's it is more expensive than a dyna but NOT HAVING IGNITION PROBLEMS ARE WORTH WHAT?? 650's or 900's and 1000's
Attachments:

Coil power 05 Jul 2006 11:54 #59507

• teddycp
  • User
So Trippivot, what is this great system? I for one would like to know more about it!

Coil power 05 Jul 2006 12:08 #59508

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Looks suspiciously like an OEM ignition...
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: