Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

wire end kits ??? 26 Jun 2006 09:57 #57235

• geerbangr
  • geerbangr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Anyone know where to purchase the wire end kits w/ the same style connectors that kaw used ???
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

wire end kits ??? 26 Jun 2006 10:08 #57236

• 77Davo650
  • User
When I rewired my bike I found most of the same connectors at Radio Shack. I'm sure you can get them somewhere cheaper, the 6 and 9 wire connectors ended up being over $5 each because they sell the male and female connections separately. They were readily available so I guess my impatience is what justified spending the extra $$$.
77 KZ650 C1 (sold)
78 KZ650 B2 (sold)
78 KZ400 B1 (sold)
78 kz400 C1 (resto-mod)
78 kz400 C1 (hardtail low chop)
couple of possible project kz's in parts

wire end kits ??? 26 Jun 2006 22:37 #57427

• geerbangr
  • User
thanx 77,do they have the bullet style connectors that kaw used w/ the mini rubbers on them,that was for sealing out the elements ??i have to install a new stator in my 1100 & i had the stock wires end changed to a plug because of bad wires now i need to changed it back to the stock ends so i don't have to chop on the new stator wire ends.:S
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

wire end kits ??? 27 Jun 2006 05:04 #57445

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
K&L supply have all the "factory style" ends insulators all that stuff. they have special tools too.

wire end kits ??? 27 Jun 2006 07:17 #57472

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
To clarify, K&L is NOT a retailer but a wholesaler. Your local bike shop likely distributes K&L products. www.z1enterprises.com is also a distributor. MOST distributors do not have these connectors in stock but can order them for you. They will be pretty close to OEM connectors. Trippivot mentioned special tools... you might also want to invest in a tool to help you get he pins into a multi-pin connector. This is terminal crimper tool B-14. You will want to be getting "B" series connectors and not "F" series as the B series is what is used on a Kaw. You will need to look at a catalog or describe the connectors needed... You can also buy a kit where the connector tool is included. There is a "Professional Electrical Shop Terminal Kit" 34-1909 with a lifetime supply of all sizes of connectors and a small kit aimed at do-it-yourselfers called the Electrical Temrinal Kit B-Type 34-8958.

I would also like to point out that Radio Shack DOES have DC multipin connectors but these are not similar to the OEM connects, or at least the ones I have found, in that they are not "B" style connectors but they work OK as well. They have two pin up to six pin. The biggest issue is putting the pins into the connector as I am not sure they sell a special tool to help with that. When you get to a store, ask to see their "DC Connectors". If you want OEM looking connectors, from single to multipin, contact a K&L distributor like www.z1enterprises.com.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

wire end kits ??? 27 Jun 2006 08:32 #57485

• 77Davo650
  • User
Yeah, come to think of it, while Radio shack does have them on hand, wired is right, they are not the same as OEM and while I have found decent bullet snap connectors there, I haven't seen the heat shrink ones like OEM used. (I don't think the radio shack ones I got were copper either, but I haven't had any problems with them yet)

Post edited by: 77Davo650, at: 2006/06/27 11:35
77 KZ650 C1 (sold)
78 KZ650 B2 (sold)
78 KZ400 B1 (sold)
78 kz400 C1 (resto-mod)
78 kz400 C1 (hardtail low chop)
couple of possible project kz's in parts

wire end kits ??? 27 Jun 2006 11:17 #57524

• mysticwolf
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
how many do you need?. you pay the shipping cost and I'll send them to you. If I have enough.

wire end kits ??? 27 Jun 2006 12:40 #57545

• Aloha Mr Hand Z1R
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Jeff at Z1 Enterprises. They're bagged up in batches of 10 or so. each bag is @ $2-$3. He has more of the plastic block connectors than what he has on his site, ask him if you don't see what you need.

wire end kits ??? 27 Jun 2006 22:32 #57655

• geerbangr
  • User
all of you guys on this site are amazing,thanx a million for the help guys,mystic i'm one of those guys that has to buy the whole kit because when i get done installing the few i need the kit will be almost gone. lmaoooooo. wired thanx for the link to z1 i'll give those guys a shout,thanx for being specific on which ones i'll need also.guys i do some fab work outta my garage if anyone needs anything within my capabilites feel free to hollar at me i'll help whoever i can. thanx again guys
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

• Page: