Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Anyone ever had this one happen ?? 21 Jun 2006 20:36 #56150

• geerbangr
  • geerbangr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I might as well get this one goin,i'm having problems w/ my charging system on my 85 ltd 1100 as i posted in another thread.I talked to trippivot on the phone tonight about the situation,"trip has forgot more about electronics than i'll probably ever learn",sorry trip,lol.Any way we have determined the stator has an insulation breakdown problem,which has the stator grounded,now when i checked the 3 yellow wires coming out of the stator w/ the bike running i'm seeing 20-22 volts ac @ idle,50-52 volts ac @ 4 grand,anybody ever seen this problem before.I better throw this part of the story in also,i've determined the stator going to ground by checking the 3 yellow wires against the center ring of the stator and i'm getting the same reading as if you touched the 2 probes together testing your meter for continuity. :S
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anyone ever had this one happen ?? 22 Jun 2006 08:07 #56229

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
yep thats a condition i havent come by before. heck I went back to the M.M.I. notes just for the excersize. and it fails the stator insulation test. why it makes ACV I dunno?

Anyone ever had this one happen ?? 24 Jun 2006 14:44 #56837

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The stator wires can have a short to ground which means it's bad, but can still produce AV voltage and may still put out power at a reduced level. It depends where the short is and how bad it is.

Anyone ever had this one happen ?? 26 Jun 2006 09:34 #57230

• geerbangr
  • geerbangr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
thanx for that bit of info loud,i can honestly say this is the first time i've ever encountered anything like this,that's the way my luck goes !!!
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

• Page: