Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Another No Spark... 17 Jun 2006 23:59 #55236

• Mr. Mention
  • Mr. Mention's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok, I'm getting no spark to any plugs. Pulled them, put them on my block, turn her over, and nothing. :blink:

Before I pulled the bike apart, it would start. Here's what I've done (as far as electrical related).

Removed Gas tank, pulled the carbs out, cleaned them, replaced a few missing pieces, pulled out the air box, cleaned that, and pulled out battery holder, cleaned that up.

Now, the bike is back together, minus the seat. I put a new battery in, new head, tail, and turn lamps. New plugs (correctly gapped). When I put in the battery holder, all the harnesses apear to be correctly connected.

Lights, horn, starter all work, but no spark. I know for a fact that it sparked before. So is it fairly safe to say that I probably have a short or ground somewhere? Either in the harnesses that were connected/disconnected when I removed the battery housing, or is there some ignition related wiring in the headlight housing?

I have clymers and the service manual, but not sure really how I should proceed. I'm a little intimidated when it comes to electrical issues on vehicles.

Any ideas or insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another No Spark... 18 Jun 2006 12:18 #55328

• hwms
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Check continuity of voltage to and from;

Kill switch
Clutch switch
Side stand Switch

Voltage to coils

What model is it ???

Another No Spark... 18 Jun 2006 17:05 #55357

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
This may sound dumb and I apologize in advance, but you are pulling in the clutch lever and the bike is in neutral and the kill switch is in run position when you are attempting to start right?

If so, you may have joggled (is that a word?) the wiring on the coils or the plug wires or plug caps when you pulled the tank and carbs. All of these points are obviously critical to spark. Let us know what you find and good luck. I ride an 81 GPz 550 which is similar to your bike in many ways. :)

Another No Spark... 18 Jun 2006 23:47 #55427

• Mr. Mention
  • User
I wont be able to check the bike till tues night, too much work. :S

But yes, I am pulling the clutch lever, bike is in neutral, and kill switch is in run. The starter turns over, there is just no spark. I'm going to check all my connections, and I'll probably feel dumb when something in the harness is not connected all the way. Thanks for the help, I'll let ya know what I find.

Edit: It's an 81' KZ 550 C2 (LTD)

Post edited by: Mr. Mention, at: 2006/06/19 02:48

Another No Spark... 19 Jun 2006 06:34 #55463

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Two possible reasons for the coils not sparking.

First is no power to the coils. Test this FIRST as it is easier to test... get a multimeter and put in in VDC scale. With the key on, put the POS probe on the power connection on the coil and the NEG probe on the frame. You should get about 12VDC. The power will be connected through a red, pink or yellow/red wire (generally the colors used on a Kawasaki). The OTHER connection to each coil will likely be green or black. These are the wires coming from the ignition.

If you have power, the second cause is either a FAILED component OR a wire is not connected. I am not sure if you have a points ignition or electronic. Since you didn't both to provide this info and I am too lazy to look it up, in general, the points ignition will likely have points that are stuck closed, burned or condensors that are shot. Replace this stuff and try again. The electronic ignition has pickup coils at the crankshaft and an igniter. Both of these require electonic tests to see if they work.

I suggest you provide just a bit more info. If you try checking for power FIRST and then still have no spark, get back with the additional info. The tests for electronic ignition components require a multimeter and are outlined in a Kaw Factory Service Manual but I am sure we can probably get you the gist of them, if needed and you don't have this info.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Another No Spark... 21 Jun 2006 21:33 #56158

• Mr. Mention
  • User
Ok, I checked power to the coils. Getting a little under 12VDC to each.

I have an electronic ignition. I couldnt get the timing cover open to check the pickup coils (stiff bolts that want to strip), so I'll have to work on that. I've measured the resistance of the pickup coils and they were both around 444. (Clymers says between 400-500 is good). And the resistance between any of the leads and the ground was infinate.

The test for the IC Igniter requires that you touch a screwdriver to the pickup coil core. Since I cant get the timing cover off, i havent done this test.

Another No Spark... 22 Jun 2006 06:35 #56205

• wiredgeorge
  • User
If you have the tests for the pickup coils you will also have the tests for the igniter... one or the other of these components is likely the source of your woes. Also, buy a hand impact driver to remove the screws or allen bolts holding the points cover in place.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Another No Spark... 24 Jun 2006 16:34 #56856

• Mr. Mention
  • User
Got the case open using an impact driver. Forgot about those things, thanks Wiredgeorge.

I tested the igniter by placing a screwdriver to the pickup coils. According to clymers, there should be a spark if the igniter is working. I didnt have a spark. So I am guessing that it's bad. Anyone know of any other tests to preform to make sure this is the case before I go out and buy another igniter?

I think I found a guy who has one, but he's closed till next week.

Another No Spark... 24 Jun 2006 17:42 #56866

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Just a suggestion. Buying a used ignition part is like oa box of candy... when you get one, you never know what you will get (stole that from my cousin, Forrest)... anyway, a Dyna S is at its lowest ever price right now. www.z1enterprises.com has great prices on them and you can toss both your pickup coils and igniter as the Dyna S replaces both and will cost you far less than a new Kaw igniter.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Another No Spark... 24 Jun 2006 20:14 #56884

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
  • Thank you received: 11
I have 2 of the same bikes you have when I first got them and was messing around with them I had spark on the parts bike, then I think maybe I robbed a point cover (don't remember for sure) anyhow I lost spark. I took a q-tip soaked it in rubbing alcohol and just swabbed around the pickups etc. under the point cover and it started sparking again. Can't guarantee this will fix your problem but it won't cost anything to try it. Good luck.
Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

Another No Spark... 24 Jun 2006 22:58 #56901

• Mr. Mention
  • User
How easy is this to install? I've seen other posting about it, but the posts I've read always seem like they are having troubles. I can do electrical stuff, but like I said before, it's not my strong point. But I'd also rather not spend money on an igniter that might not work.

I'll try the q-tip trick and see how that does. There was some condensation/water on the pickups when I opened up the case, and it looks like there is a bit of corossion in there too. But the resistance was still good across the pickups.

Another No Spark... 24 Jun 2006 23:16 #56903

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Check out loudhvx's do it yourself 550 ignitor at www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html

A whole lot cheaper than buying a new one, and it's simple to make.
KD9JUR

• Page: