Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Coil mod question 10 Jun 2006 19:31 #53526

• JR
  • JR's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
I got the relay, pigtail and assorted bits necessary for the coil mod but find I have a question and although I have gone through the archives and searched here I cant seem to find the answer. I have the original electronic ignition - pickup coils and IC igniter and while I think I'm on the right track I dont want to do anything that might fry the igniter.

Here's what I have or rather what I'm looking at. A red wire from the kill switch, two red wires to the coils and one red wire to the IC Igniter. All meet up at a soldered joint.

What I propose to do is cut the wire from the kill switch, run a lead to terminal 86 on the relay and then from 87 run a wire back to the red I just cut and connect it before the soldered junction. What it should end up looking like is the diagram in WG's coil mod in the Filebase but instead of the circular thingy with "Dyna S" written inside mine would say "IC Igniter".

Will this work ? Should. should'nt it ?

The schematic below is the current setup.

Post edited by: JR, at: 2006/06/10 22:35

Post edited by: JR, at: 2006/06/10 22:36
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Coil mod question 10 Jun 2006 20:18 #53556

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
You have it right. Or will. Just like you said, the round thing with Dyna = IC Igniter.

Here's a dia showing the IC Ign, but using a 5 pin Relay with two # 87s. If yoy have a 4 pin Relay, run #87 to coils and IC Ign.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Attachments:

Coil mod question 10 Jun 2006 21:11 #53574

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
Thanks Rob,
That helps. I do have a 5 pin relay with an 87 and 87A. From the description on the side of the unit I get the impression that when the relay is ON then 87 is active and when the relay is off then 87A is active - sort of like in an alarm type circuit.

Anyway, the schematic below shows what I'm planning to do(excuse my crappy diagram). I wired up the bits this evening and I think I'll hook it up to the bike tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes.

Attachments:

Coil mod question 10 Jun 2006 21:53 #53594

• dkmk
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18
Some relays have a schematic etched right on them. I believe on mine, both 87 A+B are energized at the same time. I don't have the igniter, so I just used put a spade-type terminal on 87B, and filled the hole where the wire goes with silicone, just so it is not exposed to the elements. I couldn't believe the difference with the Dyna-S and the coil mod. Just look at the bike and it starts! :laugh: I'm sure it must save lots of wear 'n tear on the starter. Good luck!
Northern Ontario
Zapp: "Kif, I'm feeling the Captain's Itch."
Kif: "I'll get the powder, sir."

Coil mod question 11 Jun 2006 17:00 #53755

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
Got it all hooked up and it works. Works well in fact. Before the modification I had 11.8V at the coils and afterwards I measured 12.3V at the coils and got an equal reading at the battery. This with the engine not running and the ignition switched on. So I guess I got an extra half volt at the coils. It does make a difference. Bike seems to start easier and run better at lower rpm with better acceleration. Hav'nt had a chance to give it a blast on the backroads. I'll check the plug colour later. So far so good and I have to say that I like it.

Runs good all speeds. Plug colour pretty near perfect They had always tended to be a tad on the sooty side.

Post edited by: JR, at: 2006/06/11 20:04

Post edited by: JR, at: 2006/06/13 21:19

Post edited by: JR, at: 2006/09/02 10:31

• Page: