Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Warm Engine wont fire up 08 Jun 2006 10:28 #52946

• lubedo
  • lubedo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a KZ 750N Spectre that starts up fine when it has sat for a while. But onces I drive it any real distance, say forty miles or so, if I turn off the engine it will not start back up unless I wait for like 20 minutes to let everything cool down. This is very annoying when I stop to get gas and have to wait so long to get back on the road. I believe its the battery or the starter. The battery is holding a charge, and charges. I'm more apt to believe its the starter. However one day I was riding it and it had a very rough time starting when it was cold, so I thought it could be the battery because I had to jump it with another battery. Then later on on the road, it stalled out and wouldn't start again, luckily there was a hill that I pushed it over to and rolled down and push started it, it started no problem. So I dont have a clue. What do you think could be wrong? Thanks a lot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Warm Engine wont fire up 08 Jun 2006 13:06 #53012

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Warm Engine wont fire up 08 Jun 2006 16:12 #53050

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
On one of my bikes I had the same problem, and a new battery cured the problem completely. It seems that on a warm engine, the clearances are tighter, so it takes more energy to turn over the engine fast enough to start. Also, especially on a bike with an electronic ignition, you will get a weaker spark when you have a weaker battery when starting. I think it is the combination of these two effects that can cause hard starting when you have a weak battery and the engine is warm.

Either that, or it's just electrical VooDoo!
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

Warm Engine wont fire up 08 Jun 2006 21:35 #53107

• lubedo
  • User
So do you think that as the engine gets hotter the valves and seats dont sit right, and I do not have good enough compression to actualy start the engine until it kools down. If that is the case do you think a valve job would help fix that problem, because I do have a bit of valve clatter. Thanks.

Warm Engine wont fire up 08 Jun 2006 22:27 #53117

• wireman
  • Visitor
id try adjusting them first before jumping into a valve job.:whistle:

Warm Engine wont fire up 09 Jun 2006 07:51 #53168

• wiredgeorge
  • User
I posted a link on adjusting your valves. The link explains the effect of not having any valve clearance. If your engine heats, do you think this possibly might make the problem even more severe? What in there makes you think you need a valve job? This is my advice.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Warm Engine wont fire up 12 Jun 2006 12:05 #53970

• lubedo
  • User
I ended up buying a new battery and that solved the starting problem. So I am glad of that. However, I do need a valve adjustment because I do hear clattering. How hard is it to do a valve adjustment yourself?

Warm Engine wont fire up 13 Jun 2006 11:57 #54239

• wiredgeorge
  • User
I am getting discouraged. I posted a link with step by step instructions. Well, I posted the link because the job is totally impossible. BTW: Valves clatter when the clearances are wide not when they are minimal. Good luck with your bike.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: