Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Whats up with this? 07 Jun 2006 18:09 #52731

• Z1Bama
  • Z1Bama's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I bought a 1974 Z1 900 from a friend who had it rebuilt. Meaning the engine got completely gone Thu. After he had the work done he rode it awhile and lost interest, and let it sit up with no gas stabilizer. Well I fixed all that with the fuel system and got it running. However I found one of the coils were bad and went back with a set of 3 ohm. ACCELS and 8mm plug wires. What I would like someone to tell me is why when i crank her up, # 4 wont hit. But if i pull the plug wire off and hold it right at the plug, lots of pretty sparks pour out of the wire on to the plug and the engine runs right. Plug it in and it goes to not firing again. I can repeat this a few times and after about 3 times I can then plug the wire back in and everything's fine. Long as the engines warm it will crank up and hit on all four. But the next day its back to step one. These are wires premade at the store, I didn't make up the wires myself. Could i just have a bad wire? Its a really nice fast bike, and soon as I get it cosmeticaly sound I will post a picture, Thanks for your support.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Whats up with this? 07 Jun 2006 18:36 #52740

• pidaster
  • User
Sounds like a bad wire to me.

Whats up with this? 07 Jun 2006 18:41 #52745

• User
  • Thank you received: 3
Does it have NGK resistor caps??? If it does take them off and throw them as far as you can...replace with a plain plug cap. If that is not the case you probally a bad wire or connection at the coil...

Hope that helps

Whats up with this? 07 Jun 2006 18:48 #52750

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
  • Thank you received: 5
Have you tried another Spark Plug ??

Whats up with this? 07 Jun 2006 19:04 #52754

• Z1Bama
  • Z1Bama's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Well to tell you the truth, i haven't tried anything yet. I have only had the bike running two days now, and after i got off work this evening I came home and played with the #4 plug wire till it ran right, took it for a little ride and came in for the night. I will try all the stuff you guys are dishing out, tomorrow. Like swapping wires with another plug. I will post something back tomorrow evening. Thanks for the ideals.

• Page: