Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

foam padding support for gauges 05 Jun 2006 09:05 #52210

• kc5deb
  • kc5deb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
My new 78 KZ650's tach gauge was vibrating, so, I took off the cover to try to tighted the nuts to see if that would do it.

Upon disassembly, I discovered that there's bushings on each bolt, and the nut was as tight as it could be. The problem lies with the foam support that the gauges rests up against.

For the meantime, I removed the bushings which allowed me to snug the speedo and tach to the point where they aren't vibrating anymore, but, I'd rather do it the right way.

Anyone have a clue as to what I'm speaking of, and where to purchase new bushings and foam supports/gaskets?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

foam padding support for gauges 05 Jun 2006 09:27 #52215

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I know what you are talking about, mine are the same. I was going to use some thin foam we have at work and replace the old stuff. It's black and weather resistant. I can get a few feet if you want...it's sticky on one side, 1/2w x 1/4thick. Easy to cut and can bend around corners pretty good.

I would keep the bushings unless they are broken up and need to be replaced.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

foam padding support for gauges 05 Jun 2006 09:52 #52223

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
kc5deb wrote:

...Anyone have a clue as to what I'm speaking of, and where to purchase new bushings and foam supports/gaskets?

Believe it or not, I was just noticing the same thing on my bikes this weekend. I looked around the garage for some rubber bushings but didn't have any.

I'm just going to pick up a couple from the hardware store for a few pennies and be done with it. It only has to be close in size since it can be drilled or trimmed....

B)
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

foam padding support for gauges 05 Jun 2006 10:04 #52230

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Step 1: find an unused foam rubber mouse pad (like the ones they give away with a marketing logo on the face);

Step 2: Cut out a bushing to fit. Use double thickness if needed.

Come'on guys, this is not rocket science! Pretend you are in the middle of the wilderness, and all you have available to fix your KZ is what is laying around you.
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

foam padding support for gauges 05 Jun 2006 10:52 #52244

• kc5deb
  • kc5deb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Gonna have to get new bushings for sure... Idiot me decided "Hey, I can just grind about 1/8" off the bushings, and it'll snug it right up". Well, after 20 mins of grinding and burning the hell outta my fingers, I realized that the foam was so worn out, I would've had to grind down about half of each bushing. I still have 2 good bushings, so, maybe I'll be able to find 2 more.

Let me know how your sticky-back foam works; might be interested in some of it.

foam padding support for gauges 05 Jun 2006 10:55 #52246

• gas
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
apeman wrote:

Come'on guys, this is not rocket science! Pretend you are in the middle of the wilderness, and all you have available to fix your KZ is what is laying around you.

Ya, but have you ever built a time machine out of a mousetrap and chewing gum, powered by cabbage flatulance? I tried and although I found the trap to be mechanicaly challenging, I found myself capable of chewing gum and coming close to farting a recognizable tune, now that's talent/ability! I also barely remember snugging my tach up with a few O rings, it worked fine. Now back to my regularly scheduled alzheimers somnambulance.:blink:

foam padding support for gauges 05 Jun 2006 15:07 #52308

• fixer5000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
i found out the hard way that if you dont use foam and tighten those up too much your gauges bounce like mad. sooo mc master car to the rescue again 1/4 inch urethane foam did the trick. just cut it out using the mount as a template and youre good to go once again!!! steve
1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts
Attachments:

foam padding support for gauges 06 Sep 2006 09:01 #74836

• JoeK
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Great Solution if anyone is still looking:
I picked up 10' roll of 3/4" self adhesive weather strip from OSH (Orchard Supply & Hardware) for around $6.00 but I'm sure you can find at most hardware stores. The Auto parts store in my neighborhood didn't have it.

The 3/4" width was wide enought that I was going to reproduce the original foam pattern to the exact shape. After trying to measure and cut with an E-Xacto, I finally just trimmed it with scissors roughly the shapes I needed.

On the speedo side, I cut holes for the mounting bolts, on the tach side I just ended the foam on each side of the holes, using several pieces to go all the way around the bracket.

It worked like a charm. At first I thought I may have a nice little after-market product here, but it was so easy with off-the-shelf stuff, that I don't think it would be worth while to produce it. As I said, the shape of the foam didn't seem that critical.

I still have probably 8 bikes worth of material left over...

Good Luck, my gauges are solid!
1977 KZ1000 - coolest
1973 Honda CB-750 - oldest
2004 Yamaha FZ1 - fastest
www.jekgraphics.com/gallery/kzr Galleries of So Cal Events
www.VintageBikeOC.com Monthly Meet of Vintage Bikes in Orange County, CA

foam padding support for gauges 06 Sep 2006 09:10 #74838

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Ditto that with the weatherstriping! I had some heavy stuff lying around the cellar, but it didn't seem like it was rocket science to find something that would work. It really does make a difference.

foam padding support for gauges 06 Sep 2006 10:08 #74849

• got12narow
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Oops. Just don't do like me and overtighten. Doh!:ohmy: The stud will break loose of the casing very easily. You ougt to see them vibrate with only one stud tightened. JB weld here I come. (hope it works):unsure: :whistle:

• Page: