Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Where can I find a new Advancer ? 28 May 2006 22:42 #50699

• AzKZ650
  • AzKZ650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Howdy Folks, If my advancer is worn out, and I think it is, is there a oem or after market replacement I can get? or do I have to check ebay/classifieds ? or is there some place I can get replacement springs ? This is for my 78' 650D

Thanks,
-Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Where can I find a new Advancer ? 28 May 2006 23:53 #50707

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
The part number is 21148-011, which at Ron Ayers brings up the following info:
Part Number: 21148-011
Description: ADVANCER,AUTMATC TMNG
Source: KAWASAKI
Price: $121.65
No way of knowing if it's still available until you order it.

IIRC, someone here converted a 650 to electronic ignition usin later model parts (maybe off a 1000).

You should consider an ad in the Classifieds here, maybe someone has a good spare (come to think of it, I think I have a 650 electronic advancer here somewhere).

Hit the salvage yards.

Cross your fingers and hit eBay, hoping you can get a good one.

That's all I can think of at the moment :)

Oh yeah, what is worn out on it?

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/05/29 02:53
KD9JUR

Where can I find a new Advancer ? 29 May 2006 02:56 #50710

• AzKZ650
  • User
The springs are shot

Where can I find a new Advancer ? 29 May 2006 06:38 #50722

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Ebay is a good bet. Saw a OEM one a while back.

I converted to a KZ1000 elec. ign a while back, using the 1000's advancer, pick up coils, and IC Igniter. I was lucky to win them on ebay for under $40. There's a link in my signature on the conversion.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Where can I find a new Advancer ? 29 May 2006 20:16 #50838

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
C'Mon over. I can dig out the spares engine.

Or stop by Fremuts garage on 65th(?) and Beloit. There is a guy there that has a 650 SR and has a parts bike. He rides the SR to work once in awhile. Thats where my cars go for service and when I saw a 650 there I stopped in and talked to the guy for awhile. Dennis is the guys name

Post edited by: DanOz7Five0, at: 2006/05/29 23:18

Where can I find a new Advancer ? 29 May 2006 22:01 #50859

• AzKZ650
  • User
Dan, You Rock !!! I'm off Friday, Saturday & Sunday, could I maybe stop over one of those days? or if you prefer I can check with this Dennis first and see if he has the part.

Thanks,
-Brian

Where can I find a new Advancer ? 30 May 2006 15:07 #50957

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
Im off Saturday. Im probably going to the track during the day but I should be available.

I saw another KZ in town this morning, in an apartment parking lot along Becher near 74th. It was a blue 650. Looked to be in pretty good shape.

Where can I find a new Advancer ? 30 May 2006 22:37 #51061

• AzKZ650
  • User
Thanks Dan, I'd really appreciate it. Speaking of other KZ's, this hunt for spare parts is killing me since I know where theres another 78' SR just sitting in storage, probably rotting away. About 10 years ago my buddy had one, it quit running on him and he let it sit for years in his brothers garage. I was going to buy it off him, then I ended up getting divorced and just didn't have room/money for it. So two summers ago I asked him about it and he had just sold it to a guy at his work who wanted something to ride while his harley was in the shop:whistle: . Apparently this guy also couldn't get it running and its been sitting ever since. He apparently thinks a non running bike that's been messed with (I know he screwed with the carbs and valves) is now worth way more then the $150 he paid for it.
In retrospect I've probably spent more then $150 on the bits and pieces I've bought for my bike off ebay, and should've just bought the damn bike, but he's just one of those guys that rub ya the wrong way....

Where can I find a new Advancer ? 31 May 2006 20:01 #51289

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
I know of one sitting like that also. I keep thinking of picking it up, long story, but I know for sure that it needs some major electrical work

Check your PMs

Where can I find a new Advancer ? 31 May 2006 20:05 #51292

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 239
How in the heck did the springs get shot? New one on me. Even my 167,000 mile KZ650 has never hinted at having an ignition advance problem even with the same springs in it for all that time.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Where can I find a new Advancer ? 01 Jun 2006 14:27 #51440

• AzKZ650
  • User

How in the heck did the springs get shot?

Well Ron, at the time I thought there was a good chance that "I" had screwed them up.

Here's the lowdown on what happened. Some of you may recall one of my earlier posts about my ignition, I didn't have any condensors, instead I had what appeared to be transistors directly attached to the points. The set-up seemed after-market. I didn't want to mess with the points/transistors so I ordered a Dyna-S from Jeff.
Installed it last week, everything seemed fine, took it around the block a few times(it was fairly late at night)it was great. The next day I go to start it, as I was going to pull it in the back yard and clean-up the wiring and a few other things while the kids were playing, and it started but had a Very low, eratic idle even with the choke fully open, then it would die and be almost impossible to re-start. I had not used a test light to set the inital timing, just timing light gun after it was running. So I tried the test light, seemed worse, long story short the more I messed with it the worse it got, checked the wiring, plugs, carb boots, removed the advancer and cleaned it again and lubed it, still ran like crap. So I started checking the forums for erratic idle, dyna installs etc...Nothing was working. One post mentioned similar problems, and replacing the advancer had solved it (So I thought maybe when I was checking the advancer I had screwed-up the springs, they seemed slow to come back, but this is my first bike :blush: and I didn't have anything to compare it to) which is when I posted asking where to get a replacement. Well today I went out to the garage and I was going to install new wires and coils and see if that would help. While looking at the coils as if I were sitting on the bike I noticed my right coil fires 1-4 & left fires 2-3, I thought it was supposed to be the other way around so I switched the wires going from the Dyna-S to the coils and reset the timing one more time (same way I've been doing it) and tried turning it over...Big back-fire out the exhaust, put the wires back to the way they were and she fired right up (I had the idle set waaayyy to high from before so I hit the kill switch, lowered the idle and restarted it and it was running fine with the choke open. Let it warm-up, took the choke-off and it was fine. So, I don't know where I Screwed-Up on the Dynas install, but I obviously didn't do something right the first 12 times :unsure: , I checked the timing with a timing gun at 2500-3000 rpm and it was right on the mark, so I guess the advancer is fine after all. I'm gonna try taking it out for a spin when I get home tonight and then check it tomorrow, hopefully it 'll be ok. Sorry for misleading you by saying the springs were shot, just hate making stupid mistakes and I thought I had buggered up the springs. Also sorry for the loooong post.

Thanks,-Brian

Where can I find a new Advancer ? 02 Jun 2006 06:52 #51555

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
So is she working well now?

I had some how removed the advancer cam and reinstalled it 180 degrees in reverse (or a shop did). It needed to have the points to coil wires hooked up in reverse, green to black, and black to green. It stumpped me on how it could run so well.

Then a year later, some one pointed out which way the cam on the advancer is supposed to be, and I realized mine was 180* out!
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• Page: