Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

DYNA \"S\" SET UP PROBLEMS 19 May 2006 17:51 #48573

• 1045's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello all,

I am installing a Dyna S ignition on a 76 KZ 900 for a friend of mine. After wiring it up, I am trying to set up the static timing as per the instructions that came with the ignition. Using a 12 volt test light I can just barely get the light to come on when the 1-4 advance timing marks line up while holding the rotor in the advanced position,I have the ignition plate turned all the way to the end of the slots in the plate....

That is OK for 1-4 but when I try and do the same for 2-3 I cannot adjust the right ignition module enough to make the light come on when the advance timing marks line up...

I have two questions:

1. Has anybody had this trouble before and if so did you have to file the slots a little longer in the plate to get a little more adjustment out of it????(I had to do this before with points plates to get the adjustment range out of it)

2. Can you use the "F" timing mark and set the static timing without holding the rotor in the advanced positon??? Would this not give the same results??

Any help would be appreciated....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DYNA \"S\" SET UP PROBLEMS 19 May 2006 22:33 #48637

• roy-b-boy-b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
I installed mine last week and it seemed i didn't have enough hands so i just used a timing light on 1/4 and then locked the plate and adjusted 2/3. Roy
1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

DYNA \"S\" SET UP PROBLEMS 14 Jun 2006 18:35 #54547

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
You're not the only one 1045, I'm having the exact same troubles. Did you get yours sorted out?
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

DYNA \&quot;S\&quot; SET UP PROBLEMS 14 Jun 2006 20:24 #54567

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
I know Myself and Others have had similar problems with ignition plates,and They DID have to file the slots a bit more to get a proper setting.(factory ignitions)
I'm just not sure that it happened on Dyna plates though.
Probably can file them as well...I don't see why not...then You'll have the proper adjustments for the pickups.
Good luck on that...let Us know.
1977 KZ1000 A-1

DYNA \&quot;S\&quot; SET UP PROBLEMS 14 Jun 2006 21:47 #54588

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
I still don't think filing would help in my case. For example lets say I have the left module set in the middle. I adjust the backing plate counter-clockwise to get the advance I need. If I file to get more advance I am still advancing the right module which would cause an advance condition on the right module and I would run out of retard adjustment on the right module.

Did any of that make sense? :dry:

DYNA \&quot;S\&quot; SET UP PROBLEMS 15 Jun 2006 07:38 #54631

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
1045... OFTEN when a Dyna S comes from the factory, you have to loosen its two allen bolts that hold it to the plate and slide the pickup around some to get it where you can find the timing... just using the slots and rotating the plate SHOULD work but the pickups are not aligned well sometimes. Loosening the allen bolts and sliding the 2/3 pickup is how you set the static timing for 2 & 3... Try setting the plate so the mount screws are pretty much centered in the slots for 1/4 and try and find the timing for 1/4 by moving the pickup itself then lock down the pickup and move the plate to fine tune 1/4 then do 2/3 by moving the pickup for it (the one on the right side hooked to the wire with the green band at the other end...
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

DYNA \&quot;S\&quot; SET UP PROBLEMS 20 Jun 2006 18:13 #55853

• User
I did get it figured out awhile ago, i used a timing light and set the timing with the engine running....Gave up trying to time it statically with a light bulb its a waste of time and energy...

Does anybody know why Dyna recommends setting the timing in the advanced position?????

DYNA \&quot;S\&quot; SET UP PROBLEMS 21 Jun 2006 03:01 #55908

• Garn
  • User
1045, If you don't mind I need your help, let me try to fathom your solution to a strange problem.
1. You didn't need to file the slots in the backing plate of the Dyna S.
2. You simply timed it dynamically with a timing device.
3. You checked both 1-4 side then 2-3 side both the same, job done?

Did you have to align the pickups in the process of setting 2-3, equal to 1-4?

I read, just recently on this forum, of another Dyna S set-up problem. The posting indicated that the wrong rotor may have been supplied (10 degrees advanced).

I must admit I'm confused!

RegardZ.
1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

DYNA \&quot;S\&quot; SET UP PROBLEMS 21 Jun 2006 20:24 #56147

• User
I will try to help...

#1 no I did not file the slots any

#2 I had the thing timed fairly close using the instructions from DYNA, but could not get right on, so i used a timing light to set it bang on..With the bike running at idle(approx 1000 rpm) I set the timing using the "F" mark for 1/4 and then 2/3.. Then I would rev engine over 2500 rpm and made sure the advanced timing marks lined up.. Thats it..

While trying to set the timing statically using a 12 volt bulb, and using the advanced timing marks, it seems like you run out of adjustment, just get it close and start it up, the adjustments are much finer then...

Like WG said you may have to move the plate itself and the pick up coils individually to get it set

Hope that makes sense

DYNA &quot;S&quot; SET UP PROBLEMS 22 Jun 2006 00:08 #56177

• Garn
  • User

Does anyone know why Dyna recommends setting the timing in the advanced position?

Thanks 1045, your method makes sense and it means that if you want to advance it a smiggin, you can just move the main plate a little and both 1-4 & 2-3 will remain locked at 180 degrees. Sorry I can't answer your question above. I'll have a read of my directions!

I wonder how Savedrider got on with his Dyna S set-up?

RegardZ

Post edited by: Garn, at: 2006/06/22 03:11
1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

DYNA \&quot;S\&quot; SET UP PROBLEMS 27 Jun 2006 20:20 #57636

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
Boy guys this is such good info! As I mentioned in my other thread I have been out of town for a bit so I'm just now getting back around to messing with things. I will let you know how things turn out soon.

• Page: