Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

alternator/stator? 18 May 2006 17:45 #48301

• 94yj
  • 94yj's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i am in the process of checking the chg system i checked the stator with an ohmeter and found it read 000.8 ohms the book says it should be around 000.4 i also checked each yellow to gnd the ohms read infinity on both yellow leads my question is the stator good as i found what looks to be hot spots on the yellow wires like they got pinched by the cover
all help and opinions very much appreciated

thanks

Post edited by: 94yj, at: 2006/05/18 20:46

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

alternator/stator? 19 May 2006 07:35 #48449

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
You have TWO yellow wires coming off your stator? Please clarify. What impedence does your manual spec for the yellow to ground check? Also, if the wires were damaged, it makes sense to cut them off, solder in new wires directly to the ends of the windings on the stator before making assessments as to the health of the stator itself. Since the wires in this location are generally in poor condition, I will often make a whole new harness; soldering three new leads (yellow) to the windings. I am not all that familiar with your bike model but on most 900/1000 models, the other end terminates in a blue block connector. I typically cut the wires about ~4" from this connector and solder the new wires to these wires as they typically don't get damaged from heat and oil as do the wire at the stator end and it allows me to retain the OEM plug configuration.

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2006/05/19 10:37
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

alternator/stator? 19 May 2006 20:16 #48610

• 94yj
  • 94yj's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
the 2 yellow wires show 000.8 ohms the repair book say it should be around 000.4 ohms and each yellow wire tested to ground should be a reading of infinity which it does as far as the bad spot in the wires i have already repaired them

thanks

alternator/stator? 20 May 2006 10:39 #48677

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Meters are not vey accurate in that range.

You're better off using voltage and load tests. That way there is no ambiguity.

• Page: