Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cranking prob. 17 May 2006 23:23 #48174

• Gune
  • Gune's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Guys i brought home a 1985 Gpz 550 the other day and had some trouble getting things going.I hooked up a battery and it didnt even crank over. After disassenbleing the right hand control switch the startor was at least engageing. There was a noise as if i didnt have anough power coming from this circular device, mounted close to the battery. I know my battery is good because it cranks over my other bike just fine. I resorted to using my cars battery, and to my surprise was bearly cranking it. After a couple of times it turned over and fired up. When I take it around the block it, it revs up tp high rpm's and then dies. When it comes to a stop the motorcycle batery alone is not enough to get it going again.It needs a jump aswell. All light still function properly and fuses are all fine.
The bike sat outside for a number of years wich leads me to believe that there may be oxidation in electrical system. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cranking prob. 18 May 2006 06:35 #48216

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The "round thing" is a starter relay. You have power going from your battery direct to one side of this relay. The wire to the starter is on the other big terminal. There is also a wire that puts voltage to the relay when you push the starter button. This triggers the relay to close and power goes from the battery to the starter. Sounds like your battery may be OK, the relay may be OK but the bike doesn't want to crank.

If the bike sat outside, what have YOU DONE TO IT prior to trying to get it started? Have you changed the oil? I don't know HOW the starter clutch works on your bike but it may be the problem or the bike may not want to turn over because the oil is totally gummed up. If a bike sits for awhile, you are wise to perform full tune up and maintenance procedures before attempting to operate it. If someone besides yourself did these things, you should probably do them as well yourself just to be sure things were done correctly.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: