Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dynatek coils and wires with unknown ignition? 30 Aug 2011 22:23 #473035

• Lucid
  • Lucid's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a 78kz650b. Previous owner replaced the points with an ignition, but I'm not sure from which bike. It looks like a newer Kawi one.

I got new plug wires and plugs, but they won't hook up to the stock coils. Luckily a buddy has a pair of Dynatek DC3-2 coils that will accept these wires, so I was figured I'd just replace both.

Will these coils work with most kawi ignition systems?
78 KZ650B Cafe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dynatek coils and wires with unknown ignition? 30 Aug 2011 22:26 #473037

• Lucid
  • User

Dynatek Performance Coils

Single Output

3.0 Primary Resistance Ohms

11,500 Secondary Resistance Ohms

Part # DC3-2
Dynatek ignition coils are high tech, top quality coils, designed for maximum performance. They produce spark voltages in excess of 30,000 volts and spark energies second to none. Dynatek coils are available in a wide variety of resistances and output configurations to allow easy replacement of stock coils. Dynatek coils work with factory electronic ignitions, points, and aftermarket ignitions. Choose from four body styles and five different primary resistance ranges to match your ignition needs. Advanced magnetic core technology of the Dynatek Mini Series Coils delivers high output in one of the smallest packages available.

Before selecting a coil, check the coil primary resistance requirements as specified by the manufacturer of the ignition being used. For breaker points ignitions use 5.0 ohm coils or 3.0 ohm coils with a 1 to 2 ohm ballast resistor in series with the +12 volt supply wire to the coil. Dynatek cannot be responsible for ignition or coil problems that result from using a coil of incorrect primary resistance with a particular ignition system.

78 KZ650B Cafe

Dynatek coils and wires with unknown ignition? 30 Aug 2011 22:49 #473055

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Most ignition coils(unless the sparkplug wires are molded in) accept 7mm sparkplug wires(or in other parts of the world, high tension leads).

You can get them the supression type that reduces the snap and pop heard on radio's and TV sets, or the non supression copper wire type and put on sparkplug caps with built in resistors for supression work.

Some riders go for non supression copper wires & run sparkplugs with built in resistors like this example: B8RES, the "R" signifies a resistor in the sparkplug. I don't believe in using supression plug wire and supression sparkplugs as a combination.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Dynatek coils and wires with unknown ignition? 30 Aug 2011 22:53 #473058

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Those 3 Ohm coils should be fine. Single fire, 1 plug wire, instead of two. So two coils, just need to make a Y in the wiring for the + volts from switch.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Dynatek coils and wires with unknown ignition? 31 Aug 2011 14:21 #473270

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 206

DYNA 2000HD DYNA 2000i / D2Ki DYNA "S" HD STOCK DYNA 2000, 3 ohm, single output (mini coils)

Price: $167.99
SKU: DC3-2

Doesn't that "Single output" mean four coils will be needed?

KD9JUR

Dynatek coils and wires with unknown ignition? 31 Aug 2011 18:33 #473333

• Lucid
  • User
Ah, you're right! I never opened the box and looked until now. Single output:

The coils on the bike, molded on wires so I don't think I can use the dyna wires?
78 KZ650B Cafe

Last edit: by Lucid.

Dynatek coils and wires with unknown ignition? 31 Aug 2011 18:51 #473335

• Lucid
  • User
Which I guess means I need something like this:
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dynatek-Ignition...&hash=item588f52dc9b

Dynatek Performance Coil Kit

Dual Output

3.0 Primary Resistance Ohms

11,500 Secondary Resistance Ohms

(Fits Kawasaki Metric Cruisers)

Part # DC1-2
Dynatek ignition coils are high tech, top quality coils, designed for maximum performance. They produce spark voltages in excess of 30,000 volts and spark energies second to none. Dynatek coils are available in a wide variety of resistances and output configurations to allow easy replacement of stock coils. Dynatek coils work with factory electronic ignitions, points, and aftermarket ignitions. Choose from four body styles and five different primary resistance ranges to match your ignition needs. Advanced magnetic core technology of the Dynatek Mini Series Coils delivers high output in one of the smallest packages available.

Before selecting a coil, check the coil primary resistance requirements as specified by the manufacturer of the ignition being used. For breaker points ignitions use 5.0 ohm coils or 3.0 ohm coils with a 1 to 2 ohm ballast resistor in series with the +12 volt supply wire to the coil. Dynatek cannot be responsible for ignition or coil problems that result from using a coil of incorrect primary resistance with a particular ignition system.
78 KZ650B Cafe

Dynatek coils and wires with unknown ignition? 01 Sep 2011 00:52 #473403

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Yes you need dual output.

Do you have a photo of the ignition plate?

The Dyna ignition looks superficially similar to the Kaw system, but if you see them both the differences are easy to tell.

You want 3 ohm coils for a Dyna S ignition, but 2.2 ohm coils (dyna has them, they are the gray ones) are what you want if you have an actual Kaw ignition from a later model (1980-ish).

• Page: