Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hey loudhvx- batteryless kit 01 May 2006 05:51 #44119

• CruisingRam
  • CruisingRam's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
hey, I am an electrical newb, but my buddies managed to rewire the Z1 really good. hell, I don't even know if it is points or electronic timing- but I do know how to ask this question-

Do you make a ready made kit to get rid of the battery on a 1977 KZ 1000 motor in a 1975 Z1 900 B frame with the 1975 wiring harnes? Or, I could use the 1977 harness as well? doesn't have aftermarket ignition like the dyna, but it has accel coils?
1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hey loudhvx- batteryless kit 01 May 2006 09:05 #44161

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I don't make a ready made kit, but here's what you need to find out.

Does the alternator use a permanent magnet or an electric field-coil?

How many phases is it?

As long as you have points or the stock electronic ignition, it may work.

I've found that the bike must be pretty easy to start to begin with, before going batteryless. If it doesn't reliably start on the first kick or 2, I wouldn't recommend it.

There are almost no wiring changes involved, but you may want to put in a switch that kills the lights for starting.

Hey loudhvx- batteryless kit 03 May 2006 00:56 #44705

• CruisingRam
  • CruisingRam's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
couldn't even answer those questions at this time- but I am hearing that it should start on first kick or so if you want to go that way- and my Z now does start on the first kick, and probably the 1000 as well, it cacked off pretty easy the other day!

That being said- I may want some more ummpff to the electrical system than what you are saying for ignition though in the future. So I stick with a battery I suppose!
1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Hey loudhvx- batteryless kit 03 May 2006 10:29 #44807

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
well, it's easy to change back and forth to the battery. The capacitor justs replaces the battery. It should cost less than $30 to experiment if you are curious (and your bike has the right type of charging system).

• Page: