Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

no spark 17 Feb 2011 02:05 #431203

• freshwombat
  • freshwombat's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've just replaced the points ignition on my 1980 z500b with a dyna s ignition. The problem is that it's not firing on cylinders 1+4 (checked by touching exhaust which was cold).
After installing the ignition I dynamically timed it using a induction timing light. The timing light picked up cylinders 2+3, but picked up nothing on 1+4. I was able to time 1+4 by removing the spark plug and placing it against the head which caused it to spark and was picked up by the timing light. I have yet to figure out why 1+4 is sparking when removed and placed against the head but not when installed.
Using a test light I checked that there is voltage (12V, though I have not checked it with a multimeter) at the coil.
Using the test light again I checked that the ignition was sending a signal to the coil by rotating the crank by hand until the dyna s picked up the magnetic rotor.

I am unsure whether 1+4 have a strong spark as I haven't been able to compare it to 2+3. Is it possible to turn over the bike with the starter motor and get a strong enough spark on 2 or 3 to compare with the spark on 1+4?

I thought of switching coils over but the leads for 2+3 are too short to reach the plugs on 1+4.

I'm going to borrow a multimeter from work tomorrow to measure the ohms of the windings in each coil.

Does anyone have any ideas about whats happening?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

no spark 17 Feb 2011 05:25 #431218

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
  • Thank you received: 28
Sounds like you've just about got it covered. It takes a considerable amount more juice to create a spark under compression.

Use the Ohm meter to check everything thats not new, like the wires from the coils to power + Voltage, coil to dyna s, the plug wires, the plugs themselves, the coils, etc...

Yes, you can ground all the plugs to the head and turn it over with the starter motor comparing spark quiality, but it is difficult to compare with small normal gaps. Take a used plug and bend the electrode up to make a nice large gap, then replace one of your 2-3 plugs and check, then replace a 1-4 plug and check.

You'll find the problem in no time...

B)
Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

no spark 17 Feb 2011 05:28 #431219

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
freshwombat wrote:

I've just replaced the points ignition on my 1980 z500b with a dyna s ignition. The problem is that it's not firing on cylinders 1+4 (checked by touching exhaust which was cold).
After installing the ignition I dynamically timed it using a induction timing light. The timing light picked up cylinders 2+3, but picked up nothing on 1+4. I was able to time 1+4 by removing the spark plug and placing it against the head which caused it to spark and was picked up by the timing light. I have yet to figure out why 1+4 is sparking when removed and placed against the head but not when installed.
Using a test light I checked that there is voltage (12V, though I have not checked it with a multimeter) at the coil.
Using the test light again I checked that the ignition was sending a signal to the coil by rotating the crank by hand until the dyna s picked up the magnetic rotor.

I am unsure whether 1+4 have a strong spark as I haven't been able to compare it to 2+3. Is it possible to turn over the bike with the starter motor and get a strong enough spark on 2 or 3 to compare with the spark on 1+4?

I thought of switching coils over but the leads for 2+3 are too short to reach the plugs on 1+4.

I'm going to borrow a multimeter from work tomorrow to measure the ohms of the windings in each coil.

Does anyone have any ideas about whats happening?

Bad plug?
Old hard leaking plug wires?
Bad cap?
Weak coil?
Low voltage received at coil?
Poor connection on end of plug wire?

Could spray water mist over coils and plug wires while engine is running in a dark garage, and look for sparks.

Am guessing new Dyna green 3 ohm coils and new Dyna plug wires would resolve the issue, provided the coils are receiving proper voltage.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

no spark 02 Aug 2019 04:41 #808584

• Rado74
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello. thank you for accepting. I bought a kawasaki z500b 1980. the condition was bad. I did the exterior. engine a little noisy. sometimes he didn't want to start. doesn't start at all. does not give a spark to the 1.4 cylinder. control of induction coils mesh. one pulse sensor dead. is there any substitution or possibly tried by someone to replace it from another motorbike? z400, zzr, zx6? Is it possible to convert to the older way of ignition - hanger + condenser? some link to the store where can I buy pulse sensor? thanks for all the advice.

• Page: