Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Speedometer whirring noise 25 Apr 2006 10:45 #42530

• gabriel
  • gabriel's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have an '84 ZN700 shaft and when it's cold, let's say in the 40's, the speedometer makes this loud whirring noise. It starts around 35-40mph and it stops as soon as I go under 35mph. The needle is not jumping up or down or anything like that. I opened the gage assembly about 1 month ago and lubed all the little gears over there.

Anybody has any idea?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Speedometer whirring noise 25 Apr 2006 11:56 #42544

• Werewolfx
  • User
My speedometer started doing the same thing, hot or cold, above 20 mph. It got louder and louder til finally it was loud enough people would look to see wth that sound was as I rode by..I disconnected my speedometer cable at the fork, sound gone. Reconnected it at the fork, disconnected it at the speedo and tied it out of the way, sound still gone. I took the cable off and haven't looked back..Course, my speedo needle was broken too, so I didn't lose much ;)

I'll eventually replace my speedo/tach with one from Electrosport.
Chris

Speedometer whirring noise 25 Apr 2006 12:01 #42547

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
Not sure the exact setup on your particlar bike or what exact gears you lubed, but if it's similar to the older bikes, the noise is generated right where the cable goes into the speedo. Take the speedometer off, turn it upside down, spray a little oil around the edge of the part the cable spins in the speedo and problem will be gone. At least that's the hope we have.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Speedometer whirring noise 26 Apr 2006 10:25 #42837

• gabriel
  • User
I have the original speedometer and cable. I lubed all the little gears that seem to reduce the rotational speed so that a meaningful reading shows on the speedometer.

I'll try your solution, Ron, and let you know how it goes. I've seen a ZN gage cluster on e-bay for $99+S/H but I'm not going to invest more money in this bike.

Gabriel

Speedometer whirring noise 26 Apr 2006 20:11 #43022

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Gabriel,

The speedo on my ZN700 has been making the exact same noise. The only difference, is that the needle flutters on mine above a certain speed. It doesn't stay like that permenantely, and usually only does it when it's cold out (below 50F).
I'm going to be tearing it apart and go through it hopefully sometime next week to see if there's anything that would be causing it to do this, so I'll update what I find about it then.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Speedometer whirring noise 01 May 2006 07:32 #44135

• gabriel
  • User
Well,

"Unfortunately" the weather improved and we're in the 60's here in Lansing, MI. So the noise dissapeared before I tried any of the solutions. I guess it will show up again in the fall. But then I'll be prepared.

Thanks to all of you that replied to my posts.

:)

• Page: