Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

igniter 20 Apr 2006 19:44 #41277

• agawam
  • agawam's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I have traced my electrical problem to the igniter I think, I have a spark but just barely, its so slight you have to take the light away to see it but its there and you can't feel it when you hold the wire and ground yourself to the bike.the coils work fine on another bike,but the other is not an electronic ignition. so I suspect the igniter but I could be wrong because I have a few other eletrical problems on this one, like the starter button dosen't work but the whole igniton system is live and the wire diagram I have dosen't color code to my harness (clymer)the engine, electrics and harness is from an 84 KZ700A but the bike is not. I had a similar problem on the 84 but it ran good a few times, any ideas ??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

igniter 20 Apr 2006 19:48 #41280

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Check the voltage to the coils (should be near 12 volts) and check the ignitor ground wire. If you are getting any spark, then the ignitor is working.
KD9JUR

igniter 20 Apr 2006 20:03 #41283

• agawam
  • agawam's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
This might be true, the harness has quite a few holes where someone was searching for a problem in the past, the clymer manuals I have are for 650s and 750s but I couldn't find one yet for the 84 700, but it's a good thing to know that if there's spark the igniter it working...expensive part

igniter 21 Apr 2006 07:08 #41396

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Like Steel mentions, check the voltage your getting at the coils, on the yellow/red wire that feeds both coils. You should be close to 12 volts. If not, your probably losing some power through all the wiring and switches, and would benifit by doing the "WG Coil Wiring Mod", found in the KZ Information section.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• Page: