Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

I want my turn signals to flash faster 24 Oct 2005 15:36 #3907

• MotorBone
  • MotorBone's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've got a 78 kz 750. The turn signals and electrical system all work fine. I was just wondering if there was something I can do to make the turn signals flash a little faster. I just don't like them flashing that slow. Right now they flash on and off in about 1 second.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I want my turn signals to flash faster 24 Oct 2005 15:46 #3909

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
Other than checking that the bulbs and wires are clean and you have a good ground so they get the power they are supposed to do, if you don't already have one installed, get an electronic flasher for them instead of the orginal thermal one. Go to any parts store, I'm now sure of the number, just ask for an electronic 2 prong flasher. A good on is about 8 buckazoids.
Ride safe,
Les
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

I want my turn signals to flash faster 24 Oct 2005 16:44 #3927

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
The Milkman wrote:

...Go to any parts store, I'm now sure of the number, just ask for an electronic 2 prong flasher. A good on is about 8 buckazoids...

That's what I did (I had to since I went to L.E.D.).

The "heavy duty"/electronic flasher works great.

I just brought my old one up to AutoZone to compare. I got one that fit nicely in the original rubber holder. :)
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

I want my turn signals to flash faster 24 Oct 2005 18:47 #3961

• MotorBone
  • User
That sounds pretty easy. I'm probably going to pick ont up this week then. Is there anything else I should know besides just get an electronic two prong flasher?

I want my turn signals to flash faster 25 Oct 2005 07:00 #4068

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Yeah... you should know that a regular flasher is about $3 and a heavy duty is about $7. bwhahaha The HD flasher will fix your problem. It is common to have the flashers either flash slow or real fast when you add a trailer and its lights. The HD flasher is made to take the different bulb voltages and handle them and flash at a regular rate. The flasher unit on ALL older bikes is barrel shaped and you will find a similar one at your autoparts store marked HD. Later Kaw flasher units are rectanglural shaped but also use the |_ type prongs and the barrel shaped HD flashers work great there as well... Whenever I redo a bike, I just buy an HD flasher because it will allow the use of different voltage bulbs and LEDs and such where the standard flasher won't like the different voltages and blink funny.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

I want my turn signals to flash faster 25 Oct 2005 07:05 #4071

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
I replaced my stock flasher with a Triden EL-12. Cost $12.99 at Autozone. It was a direct replacement for my stock flasher (same size, same plug), and it solved my slow flasher problem.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

I want my turn signals to flash faster 30 Oct 2005 12:15 #5385

• luvmykaw
  • Visitor
ltdrider wrote:

I replaced my stock flasher with a Triden EL-12. Cost $12.99 at Autozone. It was a direct replacement for my stock flasher (same size, same plug), and it solved my slow flasher problem.

I got the same flasher and a new battery. The difference was like night and day.

I want my turn signals to flash faster 31 Oct 2005 12:10 #5655

• MotorBone
  • User
Awesome. I bought a new heavy duty electrical flasher relay, the two prong one like you guys said. I got it a Advance Auto Parts and it was $7.68. Fits right into the stock rubber holder too. It works great. It flashes exactly like I wanted it to.

I want my turn signals to flash faster 12 Feb 2007 05:04 #111768

• Wild and KZ Guy
  • User
I have the same problem, slow flashing('77 KZ650).
After reading this thread, I'm a little confused; do I need a Heavy Duty flasher or an electronic flasher? Or are they one and the same?
A couple of Old School Minibikes
1980 LTD KZ650 E1

I want my turn signals to flash faster 12 Feb 2007 06:11 #111785

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I installed HD flashers about 20 years ago and the same ones are happily flashing away today! ;)
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

I want my turn signals to flash faster 12 Feb 2007 06:38 #111796

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
If you have the wrong lamps or resistance in the circuit, they won't flash properly and maybe not at all. Check your manual for lamp type. As others have said, the 'heavy duty' flasher may correct. The el-cheapo 'solid state' flasher works for less $.

The old flasher has a strip made of two different metals and when current flows through it it gets warm. One metal expands more than the other and opens a connection(lamps off). No current is flowing, the metals cool, the connection closes(lamps on). Lamps that draw more current cause the metal to heat faster. Less current(lamps or resistance in the circuit) and it heats more slowly and flashing is slow.

I want my turn signals to flash faster 12 Feb 2007 12:48 #111876

• Wild and KZ Guy
  • User
I'm looking for one that will flash consistently, regardless of load. Ideally, I would like to get close to 2 flashes per second. Right now, mine is about one per second or slower, and at that, the 'on' time is shorter than the 'off' time; I figure, if someone glances at my signals before manuevering in traffic, there's a good chance they'll see it in the off mode.
I notice at the EL-12'a website, that the rate is shown as 60-120 per minute. Is that thing adjustable?:
www.tricoproducts.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=262&location_id=123
A couple of Old School Minibikes
1980 LTD KZ650 E1

• Page: