Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1981 KZ 650 Electrical Problems 08 Mar 2009 18:11 #270467

• turbotom
  • turbotom's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
After I got my KZ440 running well, my dad bought a 1981 KZ650 so he could join the KZ family as well. We are having trouble getting it to turn. The wiring is separated at several locations, and we can't seem to locate where the wiring should be connected. The first picture below shows the 2 fuse boxes on the bike.

The first thing I noticed was that the lower fuse box does not exist on the wiring diagram. Should it need to be on there, the white and black wire coming out of the bottom of the fuse box is currently dangling and not attached to anything. It came with an alligator clip attached to it, maybe it should be some sort of ground? The red wire entering the fuse box is from the batteries positive terminal.
The next separated wire is behind the fuel tank, pictured below.

Sorry about the quality of this picture. I have no idea where this wire is coming from, or what it does.
The last is coming from below the cluster of wires under the headlight.

These two connectors are white and black and white and blue, again I am not sure where they come from or what they should do.
Aside from these problems, the rear turn signals are not attached, could this contribute to the bike not turning? What sort of tests can I do with this bike to determine why it won't turn? Thank you for any help, I appreciate it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1981 KZ 650 Electrical Problems 08 Mar 2009 19:39 #270492

• jzanutto
  • User
the turn signals should not affect the running of the bike. So are you saying that when you push the start button nothing happens? Try kickstarting it. Looks like you really need a new wire harness. I got one off ebay in nice shape for just 29 bucks.

To run, you just need 12 volts to your coils. That bike looks rusty, are your points rusted? If so it wont run either
1978 KZ650B 2004 BMW R1150RT

1981 KZ 650 Electrical Problems 08 Mar 2009 19:42 #270493

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
You will have to either get a good used shop manual from E bay or go to www.repairmanual.com and purchase a factory shop manual. It might be a few $ but worth it.

I like the factory manuals because they have all the specs in it.The wiring diagram are in color. Clymer and Haynes are in black and white making trouble shooting difficult.

A good multimeter for voltage and continuity checks is a must for seeing just what kind of rats nest wiring you've got.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

1981 KZ 650 Electrical Problems 08 Mar 2009 20:59 #270508

• gane
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
At a glance, would say you have many hours of bonding in store, enjoy them. My dad & I spent many hours figuring out english harnesses, and bits. Get a quality schematic. either replace wiring harness w/new, or trace/ rebuild as new. the logic of stock harness's still eludes me at times,but, is simpler than inventing harness,/inventing schematic. trying to figure out a pre-exisitng problem makes you a probable pedestirian. really, the best one can wish for is a reliable fun ride. quessing about someone eleses' fix may leave you stranded. luck G
's
[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

1981 KZ 650 Electrical Problems 08 Mar 2009 21:13 #270509

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
turbotom wrote:

...1981 KZ650...having trouble getting it to turn...the bike not turning? What sort of tests can I do with this bike to determine why it won't turn?....

it won't turn

Does this mean the engine is frozen? :unsure:

Good Luck! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

1981 KZ 650 Electrical Problems 09 Mar 2009 06:35 #270557

• turbotom
  • User
Patton wrote:

turbotom wrote:

...1981 KZ650...having trouble getting it to turn...the bike not turning? What sort of tests can I do with this bike to determine why it won't turn?....

it won't turn

Does this mean the engine is frozen? :unsure:

Good Luck! :)

No, I meant that there is not any electrical power getting to the starter. I didn't want to say it won't start, as it probably needs more work after the motor is turning under electrical power before it will run.

1981 KZ 650 Electrical Problems 09 Mar 2009 08:02 #270573

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
1981 KZ650-CSR Wiring diagram:

Photo in link is of my 81 KZ650-CSR

The first thing I noticed was that the lower fuse box does not exist on the wiring diagram. Should it need to be on there, the white and black wire coming out of the bottom of the fuse box is currently dangling and not attached to anything. It came with an alligator clip attached to it, maybe it should be some sort of ground? The red wire entering the fuse box is from the batteries positive terminal.

The small fuse holder: The diagrams don't show the fuse holders. The 2 fuses paired together in the diagram are in the small holder (which should be attached to a bracket that's located behind the rearward side cover grommet). The dangling white/black wire is a fused spare accessory lead. The other fuse in the small holder is for another accessory lead in the headlite bucket (blue/white wire as per the diagram).

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

1981 KZ 650 Electrical Problems 09 Mar 2009 11:45 #270614

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
When trying to use the electric starter, do you pull in the clutch lever? There is (or should be) a switch in the clutch lever perch that interrupts the trigger wire to the starter solenoid when the clutch lever is not pulled - in other words you need to pull the clutch lever when pressing the starter button or the starter won't turn over.
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

Last edit: by OnkelB.

1981 KZ 650 Electrical Problems 09 Mar 2009 11:51 #270616

• turbotom
  • User
I did forget to mention that the actual button to start the bike is missing, I did find something that fit in the hole or have just been using a screw driver to push the start button. Is there anything special about the actual button that would make me need it?

1981 KZ 650 Electrical Problems 10 Mar 2009 10:28 #270927

• inline79
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi turbotom, I pm'ed you with an offer of my spare '81 CSR main wire harness.

Here's my input on your situation:

1. Fuse box - replace this mess with a blade-style fuse holder. You can get it a AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts for $6, not including fuses. Here's a picture from my recent project:

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...mit=20&limitstart=20

2. Fuel Tank connector - this may be for the fuel level indication on the CSR. I can't tell if it is a 2-wire or 3-wire connection. From the wiring diagram, a 3-wire connection might be for the brake light failure module.

3. Those connections are either for the horn or for the accessory power that the CSR is fitted with.

If it doesn't turn the thing to check is the voltage through the start circuit. This starts at the battery, goes through the main fuse (red/white - fuse - white wire), through the keyswitch (in on white, out on yellow), through the e-stop switch and starter button (in on yellow, out on black), through the clutch interlock switch (black wires), and to the starter relay. The other wire out of the starter relay needs to run to battery negative... It's a lot of connectors where the voltage may be broken. Hope you have a good voltmeter.

• Page: