• Page:

TOPIC:

race/track wiring 13 Feb 2006 22:13 #23732

• victory
  • victory's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey everyone,

Introduced myself in the newbie section and I had a question that would be more appropriate here... I have a 78-79 KZ650 and I want to run the minimal amount of wiring to get the engine running.

-no battery, no lights, no ignition, no kill switch (stall to kill it),... pretty much just kick to start it. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Victor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

race/track wiring 13 Feb 2006 22:26 #23736

• wireman
  • Visitor
there was apost a while back about a battery eliminator using a capacitor.what kind of ignition are you using?:whistle:

race/track wiring 13 Feb 2006 22:34 #23737

• victory
  • victory's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Whoops, forgot to mention I know nothing about the bike...:blush: I have taken everything apart, just the engine with the coils/frame and it looks like everything was stock on the bike... I know pathetic! Can this be explained with someone new to the bike?

race/track wiring 14 Feb 2006 02:34 #23751

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If it's really for racing, then you probably want to get rid of the alternator and keep the battery.

If it's for riding around, then you want the battery eliminator. There's many threads on it if you do a search.

race/track wiring 14 Feb 2006 15:41 #23852

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I would keep battery and get rid of alternator. Is it kick start or electric. Electric will kill battery in no time. For racing you might need a kill switch. I use a 1/4" phone jack attached to wrist for deadman's switch. My dragbike has wiring for Dyna ignition and coils, and the oil pressure light. An electronic ignition requires a nice voltage. A half dead battery from using electric start will not get you a good spark if any at all. When we race I put in a fresh charged battery for eliminations. Get a schematic for the bike (in back of manual). Trace down what is required to power ignition and coils. I think I have 3 wires in my harness. Sorry no schematic. Oops I see it is kick to start. Power from battery to deadman's plug, wire from deadman's plug to ignition, ignition to coils. Not sure about ignition grounding ( been awhile since I looked at my wiring harness). Wire to oil pressure switch, wire to oil pressure light, wire from light to ground. Heavy wire from ground back to battery. Keep the oil pressure light and switch, good insurance. Drag racing may require rear tailight. Use a flashlight screwed to underneath of tailsection with clamp. With no alternator no reg/rectifier needed.

Post edited by: RomSpaceKnight, at: 2006/02/14 18:42

race/track wiring 14 Feb 2006 16:45 #23869

• wireman
  • Visitor
are you roadracing or dragracing?a charged battery would not hold up very long on a road course without charging it.:whistle:

race/track wiring 16 Feb 2006 12:44 #24318

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Had a look at my wiring harnees and have no idea what I am looking at. Bike was in storage for 12 years and just got it out. My wires in the harness are marked but none of the components are. Will have to figure it out all over again. It's not hard. Will keep in touch but may be awhile. If you have a manual sit down and trace out just what you need. I have max 8 wires in harness. Like I said will get back to you when I refigure out what to do. The Dyna ignition is what I am hazy on. Sorry.

• Page: