Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Electronic Ignition 10 Feb 2006 06:53 #22911

• ltdrider
  • ltdrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
My new Dyna Electronic Ignition just arrived from Z1 (thanks, Jeff). I'm going to install it this weekend, I already have the Dyna coils. I'm not going to do the WG wiring upgrade, just going to replace my points setup per the instructions that came with new ignition.
I'm going to document the change-over with pics. I'll let you know how it went on Monday.
I think this is a great upgrade... doesn't change the original look of the bike, because you can't see any of the new gear. But it should be a nice performance upgrade.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Electronic Ignition 10 Feb 2006 10:58 #22948

• Old-Skul
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
If your points are old, it should make a big difference in the high rpm range. I was amazed at how much better my 650 ran above 7K! Good Luck w/ the change over.

Electronic Ignition 10 Feb 2006 14:42 #22990

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
if you are replacing the entire ignition system i don't think you need to do the wiring upgrade.(i think, anyway!) i thought the upgrade was for older points systems with weak spark.

Electronic Ignition 10 Feb 2006 14:51 #22994

• GargantuChet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
The coil wiring upgrade provides power to the coils directly from the battery, using a relay to break the power supply when the key is turned off.

The reason that this is useful is because the factory wiring and connectors degrade over time. This wiring doesn't conduct electricity as well, and so cannot deliver the full 12V to the coils. The relay modification bypasses the degraded wiring and provides full battery power to the coils.

This is useful for stock and aftermarket coils alike. Any time you're running your coils with less than full power, you risk performance degradation. I'm no expert, but I doubt that even Dyna coils are immune to the effects of a weak power supply!

Electronic Ignition 10 Feb 2006 15:33 #23003

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
Good luck with the install ltdrider, I think you will be happy with the upgrade. I went full Dyna about 2 months ago and it made a difference, not huge, but you will notice.

I wouldn't write off the coil upgrade, just keep it in mind when you have time in the future. While you are installing the Dyna that would be a good time to check voltage at the yellow/red wires that power the coils. If you are getting under 12v (with a known good battery) you will benefit from the wiring mod.

Shoot me a U2U if you have any install questions...it's a snap.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Electronic Ignition 10 Feb 2006 16:58 #23018

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
  • Thank you received: 5
I would like to see this wiring relay up grade .. Would someone list the link ? Please .. Thanks

Electronic Ignition 10 Feb 2006 19:38 #23049

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Here's the link: Coil Wiring Mod
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Electronic Ignition 10 Feb 2006 22:34 #23076

• typhoon
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've always found, whether with cars or bikes, that the biggest advantage of installing a new electronic ignition is teh reliability. Easier starts when cold, hot or flooded, smoother down low and more forgiving generally.

Regards, Andrew.
gpzrider.com/
For all your air/liquid cooled GPZ fun!

• Page: