• Page:

TOPIC:

Battery Eliminator 05 Feb 2006 18:08 #21748

• xstreamcanadian
  • xstreamcanadian's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
bat-pac.com/

Has anbody done or seen this? OR explain what it does to me?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Battery Eliminator 05 Feb 2006 19:15 #21766

• wireman
  • Visitor
some sort of constant loss system that sends power to differant parts of bike from charging system but cannot store large amount of electricity like battery:blink: now im confused!bwaha sounds interesting though kind of like an old dirtbike system for $50.00 it would be a way of loosing a few pounds,ive got a couple of bikes with too much compression for electric start so it wouldnt affect me .anybody know how reliable these things are?

Battery Eliminator 05 Feb 2006 20:10 #21777

• Old-Skul
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Give me 3 months and I can tell you. I just ordered one as part of my weight saving plan for my soon to be 810cc. Saves the battery weight and I was planning on ditching the starter anyway!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Battery Eliminator 05 Feb 2006 21:39 #21794

• xstreamcanadian
  • User
thats cool you ordered one, glad I could help if it helps, I saw it on a guys Triumph as he got rid of both side covers, mounted this thing, and now his bike is essentially 'see through' which is cool because you get rid of the battery box and the battery.

Battery Eliminator 05 Feb 2006 22:39 #21804

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
It's probably just a big capacitor (because that's all you need to go batteryless, if you have the right alternator). The website info is a little on the hype side of reality, though.

If it costs more than $20, forget it.

I've gone batteryless on my 550 with a 6000 micro-farad, 50v capacitor. Nothing else was needed to eliminate the battery. The alternator must be a permanent-magnet type.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/02/06 01:40

Battery Eliminator 06 Feb 2006 07:39 #21870

• wireman
  • Visitor
can you post a picture of that capacitor and how you installed it?ive got a bunch of 370v capacitors where did you find yours at?:blink:

Battery Eliminator 06 Feb 2006 09:32 #21895

• xstreamcanadian
  • User
could you post a schematic of how you wired that up and possibly further explain the type of bike that would allow such an application and why? And their site they list the KZ as a do-able application but they dont specify which KZs.

Battery Eliminator 06 Feb 2006 11:53 #21926

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
It's simple. The cap has a + and - just like a battery. You buy one with screw contacts and attach it just like a battery. It goes directly in place of the battery. It can be mounted anywhere, but preferrably away from heat and moisture.

370-volt capacitors at 6000 microfarads would be huge, probably bigger than a battery.

Sorry I don't have any photos. It just looks like a really small soda can. Maybe like a redbull can, or shorter and fatter. They are very light weight. They store a charge (actual electrons) whereas a battery stores a chemical voltage potential.

Any KZ using a permanent magnet in the alternator is a candidate for the conversion. By using a permanent magnet, the alternator does not need to use electrical power to make electrical power.

You will want to make sure you can switch your lights off for easier starts.

An alternator with a field-coil needs electrical power to create power. It uses electrical power in the field coil to make an electro-magnet. It will not self-generate electricity like a permanent-magnet alternator will.

This conversion works better if the engine is in good tune and is easy to kick-start. If the bike is reluctant to start with a battery, going batteryless is probably a bad idea. The carbs need to be tuned well to get easy starts.

Also, a Dyna S ignition uses a lot of electrical power. It may be more difficult to start if it starts at all. The Dyna bleeds away power almost constantly. This is not good when you don't have a battery. I haven't tried a Dyna on a batteryless bike so I can't say for sure it will work.

The stock Kaw electronic-ignition is very conservative on power.

Battery Eliminator 06 Feb 2006 12:19 #21929

• aussiebrad 81 kz750ltd
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I put the bat pac on a old XR250 I had about two years ago. I had the thing road registered so had put a battery system through the bike it was running on a 6 volt system but the bike was not producing enough power to recharge the system when I was running it with the head light on. I installed one of these things easy as and problem seemed to be fixed I certainly had brighter light and it did not flicker with changes in revs as some dirt bikes do. I kept the bike for a further few months had a big come off and got rid of her. But no problems while I had it.

Battery Eliminator 06 Feb 2006 12:23 #21931

• wireman
  • Visitor
ive got some air conditioner capacitors thats where i came up with the 370v but the mf is only 45:whistle:

Battery Eliminator 06 Feb 2006 17:41 #22005

• xstreamcanadian
  • User
WOW thanks guys as usual lots of great stuff to go on, I am thinking of converting to the electronic ignition from a KZ1000, I hear that they came stock and havent pestered my local used parts guy here to see if he has one yet or not. I am bidding on one on ebay but may let it go for now. Thanks again.

Battery Eliminator 06 Feb 2006 20:51 #22040

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
I eliminated the battery on my CB400 by taking it out.
Bike ran fine without a capacitor as long as idle was up around 1500. Added a capacitor from the junk box and it idles fine at 1000 now. You don't need much to smooth out the pulses. I suspect 2 mfd might be enough. Will try to find some time to hook up the oscilloscope this Sat or Sun.

-Duck

• Page: