Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Looking like I might have to do alot of electrical work 01 Feb 2006 15:59 #20974

• storysunfolding
  • storysunfolding's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The bike I'm working on looks like the battery threw up all over the area's around it. Acid has stripped some paint off the frame, destroyed the battery box and while the wiring looks ok, some of the electrical components are covered in yellow crust and rusted all over. The bike has run since then, so things apparently work... but for peace of mind...

How much work and how much would it cost to redo anything and everything electrical behind the airbox on a 81 kz650 csr?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Looking like I might have to do alot of electrical work 01 Feb 2006 16:09 #20977

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
clean it up and see if there is anything wrong...that is, measure your charging voltage.
A battery with a shorted cell will boil over even if the regulator is working...

-Duck

Looking like I might have to do alot of electrical work 01 Feb 2006 17:40 #20993

• storysunfolding
  • User
I'll definately check otu the r/r when I get her up again. I'm guessing I should get a reading no lower than 13.5 and not higher than 15?

Do you think the other electronics will work alright? This bike has apparently been sitting for three years due to a brake seal going bad.

Looking like I might have to do alot of electrical work 01 Feb 2006 20:37 #21056

• wireman
  • Visitor
just scrub everything real good,than start at one end and work your way to the other repair or replace anything questionable:whistle: goodluck,happy wiring!

Looking like I might have to do alot of electrical work 02 Feb 2006 05:25 #21087

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
use some baking soda and water, then rinse everything down with water, this will keep it from eating the metal away from the acid. I would also spray it down with some light oil and wipe it off to try to stop the rust
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Looking like I might have to do alot of electrical work 02 Feb 2006 05:30 #21088

• storysunfolding
  • User
Yeah I rinsed it when I found it, but I'm guessing it happened sometime three years or before when the bike was last run. Again, newly aquired bike for basically free. The battery box has been eaten away and the paint on the swingarm below the battery is gone and it's covered in rust. I'm sending it out to have the integrity tested but I might just replace the whole thing.

I'm wondering if the electrical components in the area are screwed. Or if there is a high/low chance that happened. The R/R seemed to have gotten away from any sign of damage but all the components to the bikes left of the battery are crusty and rusted.

Post edited by: storysunfolding, at: 2006/02/02 08:32

Looking like I might have to do alot of electrical work 02 Feb 2006 06:26 #21093

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
Would be very surprised if anything electronic went bad from three years sitting up.

Connections and switch contacts may become oxidized.
Can't really say anything about their condition without seeing.

-Duck

Looking like I might have to do alot of electrical work 07 Feb 2006 13:50 #22206

• storysunfolding
  • User
Duck wrote:

Would be very surprised if anything electronic went bad from three years sitting up.

Connections and switch contacts may become oxidized.
Can't really say anything about their condition without seeing.

-Duck

Ask you and shall recieve. Here are pictures of what happened to the wiring and what happened to the battery box. Also, notice that two wires aren't connecting to anything. I don't know what they attach to and haven't found any other loose connections. The black and yellow appears to be a ground and the white and black... I have no idea.
Attachments:

Looking like I might have to do alot of electrical work 07 Feb 2006 13:51 #22207

• storysunfolding
  • User
You should see the battery box

Looking like I might have to do alot of electrical work 07 Feb 2006 13:53 #22208

• storysunfolding
  • User
Take a look at the battery box
Attachments:

Looking like I might have to do alot of electrical work 07 Feb 2006 14:15 #22214

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
It doesn't look bad. Just clean it up and repaint the battery box.
Diagram in manual will tell you what's what with the mystery wires. It's all color coded.
Get a new battery and check out charging system as per the manual.

-Duck

• Page: