Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lost Key 11 Jul 2007 18:49 #156259

• ISUboy
  • ISUboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, putting off getting a second key for my 440 wasn't too smart, as I lost my only key.

I can't seem to find the three digit number anywhere on the bike to have a new key made. I was getting ready to pull out the ignition and see if it's on there somewhere, and when I went to reference my manual, I can't find any info on. It looks pretty simple, but is there anything I should know before digging in?

Also, if I have to get a replacement ignition, will the screwdriver trick work to pop the lock on the seat, so I can replace it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lost Key 11 Jul 2007 18:59 #156262

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
  • Thank you received: 11
Just pull the ignition, you might have to loosen up the headlight bucket to get in there to work but the switch itself is held on by 2 allen head bolts IIRC they are a 5mm allen. The number should be stamped close to where the bar for the fork lock comes out. You have to look carefully because it is stamped really small. Also I believe your bike has more than 3 digits for the key number. If you go about it this way and assuming your ignition and seat lock match you will have no need to destroy your seat lock opening it with a screwdriver. Once you get the number contact www.key-men.com they can cut you a new key for around $20.
Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

Lost Key 11 Jul 2007 19:12 #156266

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Sometime in the early 80's (I can't recall what year exactely) Kawi changed the design on ALL of their ignition switches and keys for their (then) current model line up.
At one time (on the 70's era bikes) Kawi offered pre-cut keys for customers, and all you needed was the 3-digit key/lock code and proof of ownership of said bike.

Your 440 is probably in the range of the "newer" styled keys.
If you remove one of the locks and take it to a locksmith, he/she/they should be able to cut you a new key.
Granted, it will probably be more expensive than the old style 3-digit type key. But hey, at least you'll be riding again! :)

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/07/11 22:13
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

• Page: