Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

No Spark 06 Jul 2007 14:20 #155149

• Norseman
  • Norseman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Folks, I have a problem with an 1988 Kawasaki EX500 that I'm trying to get running, and I hope I don't cause any irritation posting a question on a KZ forum. I just need to get an expert opinion and this forum seems to have all the seasoned experience with older Kawasaki's.

So, I'm not getting any spark, but I get a healthy 12v into both coils and out. The only thing I can figure out is the ignitor has gone bad. the problem has been manifesting itself over time, where after riding an hour or so, the bike would die. If I waited awhile, say 1/2 hour, the bike would start up again. It began happening more and more often, and nor finally, the bike won't start at all.

Gas supply good, coils seem to get all the juice they need, but no spark when cranking the engine with sparkplug removed and connected and grounded.

Bad ignitor seems logical - am I wrong? Appreciate any insight or suggestions!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No Spark 07 Jul 2007 02:46 #155268

• gpzrox
  • User
The IC igniter sounds right. Just so you know, on my 84, and probably on your 88, there are different things that can cause the Igniter to not send the ground pulse necessary: the kickstand switch, the low oil pressure switch, and the neutral/clutch switch all need to be right. That is, if they aren't bypassed already.:evil:

Igniter sounds right for heating up and cutting off though.
84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

No Spark 07 Jul 2007 07:45 #155292

• Norseman
  • Norseman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks, GPZROX, and I will track backwards just to confirm none of the switches are the culprit.

BTW, also CMA member - 123xxx.

Walter

• Page: