Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

What am I missing. 04 Jul 2007 19:30 #154769

• gpzrox
  • gpzrox's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
84GPZ750. Hasn't ran since Sept, has always had a problem starting under 45 degrees, but this is new.

Found the run switch wire to the coils broken, must have broken it when goofing around with the throttle cable, resoldered it. Got spark now.

If I'm getting good blue spark, and still won't start, my ignition is OK.

Think that is correct, at least. Makes sense to me. That takes the battery, pickups, ICU, key switch, run button, fuse box, coils, wires, caps, plugs, kickstand switch, clutch switch, and and low oil pressure switch out of the equation. Lets just take all the wiring and such components out of the equation.

Professionally redone carbs, learned a lot on that one, cool stuff. Air boots are on good, no vacuum leaks. Changed gas for kicks. Air filter is new.

Thinking I may hit it with ether (starting fluid). Also going to straight wire my coils,as in battery-wire-on/off switch-wire-coil connection, which doesn't make sense, unless one wire is hanging by a strand somewhere, allowing my 12.5-12.8VDC to my coils, but not enough amperage to work them right.

Any ideas on what I am missing, or how am mistaken in my theory would be greatly appreciated.

On the other hand, I saw a running KZ650 for $400 in the paper, would be fun to have a GPZ650 with a kick start, or a unitrack KZ650.....

NO, I'm gonna fix this. It's getting personal.
84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What am I missing. 04 Jul 2007 19:48 #154776

• kawsakiman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
are you sure the bike is getting gas?
are the plugs wet?
if so, did you disconnect the coils and possibly have them backwards?
it did run before right?
how long did it sit?
any critters make a nest in the exhaust?
first we got to verify spark and fuel.
you got spark covered so lets look at the fuel side.
who did the carbs?
lets go back to the begining and start from there.
someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

What am I missing. 04 Jul 2007 20:48 #154791

• iamstryc9
  • User
You can check the amperage loss through the coils with any 'ol multimeter. Make sure theres no cracks in the cases. Starter fluid in the carbs ( lil bit) is a good idea, See what it does and go from there usually carb problems (minor) wont keep a bike from running, just running well. I wouldnt hard wire the coils in, but not my bike:whistle: that will send constant juice to the plugs, meaning they "always" fire, completely eliminating the job function of the CDI box. That guy deserves work too! I send enough KZ parts too the unemployment line.:evil:

After all that, post back and well figure this thing out!

What am I missing. 05 Jul 2007 02:00 #154817

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Turn the gas on. :P
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

What am I missing. 05 Jul 2007 03:23 #154819

• gpzrox
  • User
OK, ya'll are going the same way that I am. I'll pull the carbs and see if they are working alright again.

Local guru who does all the carbs in the area, even other repair shops send their carbs to him. Almost anal in the clean/polish and in my case, the explanation of how they work. But that is how Jeff is.

I check the clear fuel filter, gas is going in, and the bowls are all filling, I checked that. The vacuum port is blocked off, the one that usually goes to the petcock, I'm using an external gas tank to try to start it: the tank is in the paint shop. I don't think it wanted to start before the tank went in, like 3-4 months ago. Before I get flamed on that one, a friend is helping me with that, so I am learning and we work on it when I get to get over there, not as often as I like. I'll post pics when I am done with that.

But my plugs don't look wet, so I'll pull the carbs again and test them off the bike.

Will try to let you know something in the next few days.
84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

What am I missing. 06 Jul 2007 08:53 #155084

• Mellvis
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Not to be funny......
Have you done a compression check? Low compression will not let a engine run.
Have you checked the timing?
You can have fuel and ignition, but if not timed right...

What all has been done since the bike ran last?

What am I missing. 07 Jul 2007 02:53 #155269

• gpzrox
  • User
Good points! I'm gonna look into the timing, but was good last year when checked while it was running. Compression was down on one cylinder, but it still pulled a quick 100MPH pass after the check, so I figured that should not be a problem.

I'm still feeling the fuel thing for some reason: I cannot get the plugs wet, even if I try to flood it: throttle full open while cranking.

Bodywork is done, will try with the tank on early in the week. I have gas in the bowls though......

What am I missing. 08 Jul 2007 14:07 #155483

• gpzrox
  • User
kawsakiman wrote:

if so, did you disconnect the coils and possibly have them backwards?

Props to you, I did have the pickup wires on the wrong coil, so it would spark, but at the wrong time.

She started today.

I like Kawasaki's, I have an '85 GPZ900 fuse box, '96 Ninja 600 coils, a 2000 Concours positive battery cable, and a spare GPZ750 igniter, all currently working in the bike.

And that is just in the ignition!!! Also running a ZR7 rear shock. Very very interested in the newer ZX suspensions, like swing arms and front forks, along with fat tires.

Anyway, props guys. That was very helpful, and once I got by the little "of course I checked that" problem, I was/am golden.

Post edited by: gpzrox, at: 2007/07/08 17:09

• Page: