Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

4.1 OHMS at the COILS? 04 Jul 2007 10:32 #154684

• Z1LEO
  • Z1LEO's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
OK, I'm going to give this a try. About three months ago I purchased a 1973 Z1.It has been sitting in a garage for approx. 7 years. Nice Bike; 1013 Kit, Bigger cams, undercut gears, Mikuni 29 smooth bores,chrome this and that, etc. The only thing different about the bike is that it has 1974 colors on the tank and side covers instead of the originals. The bike has an old Andrews electronic ignition kit installed. I went through the carbs and the tank and gave it thorough cleaning. Went through the carbs twice to insure that every thing was clean. Here is where I'm a little stumped. I started at ground zero leaving everything set where I found it. When checking the ignition, I find spark to each cylinder. (haven't determined if the spark that I'm looking at is a weak spark or not). Haven't messed with the timing yet. Purchased new plugs twice. I did purchase a Clymer manual to help me with my bike and read that if my bike has the original ignition, then the coils should have a resistance of approximately 3.0 ohms. Had it been a later model with electronic ignition, then the resistance at the coils should be 1.5 ohms. I read 4.1 ohms at each coil and suspect that both coils are bad and are the source of my problems (funny how both read the same. Do they go out in pairs?). I got my bike to run (barely idle) for approx. 2-5 seconds and that has been it. It should just light up and scream having checked everything else. Even with carbs out of sync I should get an decent idle. Can anyone of you KAWA guys give me a clue as to what to do next? I'm getting awfully anxious to ride. If I haven't covered everything, then let me know. Thanx.

Z1LEO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: