• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1000P no juice- is there a master fuse? 03 Jul 2007 09:25 #154477

• mnielsen
  • mnielsen's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,
I have a new to me '87 Police bike. I rode it to work and back yesterday(about 50 miles)
It ran great.
HOWEVER, once I got home, I realized that I had lost power to my fuel gauge and tach. I popped the seat open and found the blown fuse. I pulled it out and ran to Autozone and picked up some new fuses. (Checker/Shucks/Kragen was no help) I popped one in and turned the bike on.
Everything worked and I started it up.
Then, everything went dark... no oil light, no ignition, no headlight (the turn signals, which do not run through the ignition do work however) so I'm thinking an ignition fuse maybe?
I can't see another blown fuse in the fusebox. Is there an inline fuse I should look for or a relay that would cause this?
Also- I looked at the wiring diagram(mostly Greek to me) and saw that in the fuse box there is one 30 and the rest are 10 amps- the one I pulled and replaced was a 20 that looks like it should have been a 10- I'll get some 10s and put in what's supposed to be there- might this type of thing be causing me problems?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000P no juice- is there a master fuse? 05 Jul 2007 13:48 #154895

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
since you have a cop bike they had a lot of extra lights and stuff on the bikes, sounds like you have something going to ground and blowing the fuse, the sad part is you are going to have to chase down all the wires related to that fuse to find the bad one, you have a diagram so that helps
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

KZ1000P no juice- is there a master fuse? 06 Jul 2007 14:14 #155147

• mnielsen
  • User
Thanks
No fix yet...

I pulled out my multimeter and found that my fuse box has no power with the key off or on.
I bypassed my fusebox and ran a wire (with an inline fuse) from the battery straight to the connector beneath the ignition switch.
As I plugged my lead into the different slots, lights came on and I was even able to fire her up.
Looking at the diagram, it appears as though the battery feeds the 30 amp fuse and then goes up to the ignition switch. Then it comes back to the fuse box and runs all the 10 amp fuses that do lights etc.
A short in the system would cause a fuse to blow, right? if so, I still can't find it. All my fuses in the fuse box are intact :angry:
Weekend project!- though I'd rather be on it than in it- price you pay, no?

Keep your fingers crossed

KZ1000P no juice- is there a master fuse? 09 Jul 2007 09:00 #155654

• mnielsen
  • User
I'm up and running again!
Found that a wire under my seat had been clipped in the seat latch sometime in the bike's 20 years.
It hadn't severed the wire, just the insulation.
So it shorted it out and blew an inline fuse that was under my tank.
So, I repaired the wire and replaced the fuse and we're friends again.

• Page: