Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dead Bike 30 Jun 2007 08:12 #153871

• kzwolfsr
  • kzwolfsr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I started out yesterday with my 650 to go to work and as soon as I got around the first block, it died. I mean even tail light and indicators. First thing I checked was the main fuse and thats ok, except for this white limey thing, I think calcium that grows, not on the battery, but the frame and in the fuse box. The bike is dead. I remember this problem in the past with someone elses bike, where it died and the problem was the ignition switch. I rode the bike the day before and it did the same thing but the oil light went on and off, ya know the oil light comes on once the engine is off but ignition is on on 650's and it came on and off. I tapped the brake and the brake light went on but shut off with the oil light when the oil light went off. What could be wrong here?
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dead Bike 30 Jun 2007 09:54 #153883

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
have you checked the voltage in the battery, next use a meter to check the fuses, I have seen them blow way up in the end and you are not able to see it, if your wires are still inside the bars, you might want to pull them out, mine gaveme all kind of crap until I fixed the bad wirs and ran them on the outside
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Dead Bike 30 Jun 2007 10:50 #153894

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
If you've got sulfation (the white limey calcium stuff) in your fuse box, that's the first area I'd start at.
Clean ALL of the terminals/conections of that gunk, and I'd be willing to bet that you'll be up and running again. ;)
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Dead Bike 30 Jun 2007 15:50 #153933

• kzwolfsr
  • User
Ok guys, found it. I checked power going to the ignition switch and there was none. I checked my fuses and cleaned some of the calcium off and stil no power. I checked the battery and there was 12.12 volts, then this main power wire from the battery caught my eye. It had a connector on it and I pushed that in and wham! Power! The connection was almost out. Hopefully that was my problem, since it wasn't out enough to actually seem like a problem. By the way people, SR650's don't have in-bar wiring.
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H

Dead Bike Continued 04 Jul 2007 09:05 #154667

• kzwolfsr
  • User
Problem is apparently not found. Bike died again and came back to life in time for me to get it up the hill to get it home. i really believe it is actually the connector to the ignition. Why? My whole dash shakes with bumps in the road, since the bolts are missing something to keep it still and steady. I will take apart that area and check for broken wires before it goes anywhere

Dead Bike Continued 04 Jul 2007 11:05 #154696

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello my friend,
Have you got a good wiring diagram to follow? I might be able to scan mine and email a copy although I'm not sure it would be clear enough to help. Let me know. Darn things are kinda heavy to push huh? When someone
left the key on for several hours and killed the battery I tried to jump it by going down the little hill in front of the house and that 472 lbs was heavy.
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

Dead Bike Continued 04 Jul 2007 11:09 #154698

• kzwolfsr
  • User
Yeah I have a Clymer manual, thanks for the offer John I believe I pinpointed where the problem is but not exactly on it

• Page: