Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Starter Issues? 29 Jun 2007 12:25 #153660

• rtrider73
  • rtrider73's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Sorry Gang should have posted what kind of ride I am having an issue with. (Posted this from work and got interuppted 1/2 dozen times.....)

1979 KZ650, 22000miles, completely stock.

Scenario:
Fully charged known good battery.
Bike will start on 3rd kick of kick starter.
If using the electric starter the starter acts as if the battery is dead e.g. barely turning.
Since this is my spare ride and it's barely used (less than 300 miles a year) I am always having to recharge the battery so it's hard to isolate if I am having a charging issue.
If I ride the bike for 20-30 miles turn off the engine and try to restart the electric starter behaves the same.
Any thoughts?

Rob

Post edited by: rtrider73, at: 2007/06/29 17:00

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starter Issues? 29 Jun 2007 14:02 #153698

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Most likely causes: Either you have a weak battery (has a 12-14 volt static reading, but unable to put out the amps/power needed to run the starter), or your starter is failing. It might help to check the starter brushes and clean the commutator. Also, have your battery checked, or just replace it with one you know is good.

Generally it takes a greater level of battery power/stronger starter to start a hot engine, since the engine tolerances are tighter due to expansion.
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: