Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

LED turn signal question 27 Jun 2007 05:32 #153061

• epop2357
  • epop2357's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've mounted small stalk-type LED turn indicators on my '77 kz900. I have the new flashers and resistors needed to wire these up. My question is the wire color coding on the new LED's. They have a green and a blue wire. I have the mounted to plastic, so I know I'll probably need to run a ground wire to the stalk, but which wire is the hot wire and which is a ground or neutral. The LED's are from a company called Bike-It in the UK. I have questioned them and cannot get a response. Someone here please help a non-electric red neck.
Thanks
Bill:sick:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

LED turn signal question 27 Jun 2007 05:41 #153064

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Bill, you can figure this out yourself. To figure it out, FIRST, take the lens off a signal and look in the bulb holder base. There will be either ONE contact or TWO contacts. The contacts will be small spots; probably about the size of a pencil lead on the base of the bulb holder. If there is ONE contact, there will be one wire as hot and one wire as ground. If there are two contacts , one wire will be a "running light" and the other a "blinker light". I don't know what the LED bulb (bulbs) look like but if you stick the bulb(s) in, does it or they go in any way or only one way? If the bulb holder has two contacts, run a ground from one of the bulb holder mount screw locations to a ground on your bike's frame. Touch one of the wires to the hot terminal of your battery. One of the two wires will be BRIGHTER than the other. This is your turn signal blinker and the the less bright is your running light. If you are hooking these up on a KZ900, I am thinking there is no running light wire available. To hook up the turn signal, it is a gray wire for the one side and green for the other (I have two of the bikes but my memory is poor... might be gray for all of them). OK, to hook up the running light wire, on the rear, tap power off the RED tail light wire. For the front turn signals, there is a both a brown wire and a blue wire hanging loose in your headlight shell, if memory serves. Turn your key on and use a circuit tester bulb or a multimeter and see which of the two goes hot with the key on... I think they both do. Just splice the running light wire into this wire.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

LED turn signal question 27 Jun 2007 06:28 #153074

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I think it dosent matter, long as you have a hot and a ground, not sure as to why you need a resitor, you can use a different flasher and they work, after all part of the reason to install them is less power useage
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

LED turn signal question 27 Jun 2007 06:56 #153079

• epop2357
  • epop2357's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks guys........You are always helping me by answering everyone's questions. This site has taught me lots......Thanks again......Oh I bought the resistors before I knew about the other flashers availability..... Thanks again
Bill

• Page: