Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

81 KZ550 LTD Wiring woes. 25 Jun 2007 13:16 #152611

• Boombastic86
  • Boombastic86's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've tried to search a bit on here and found close to what I was looking for, but I'm not sure if it's the whole shebang.

First off, I replaced the wiring harness on the KZ with an 82 LTD harness, since the harness to my 81 was spliced 6 ways from Sunday with different color/gauge wire, giving me more of a headache than I bargained for. MOST of the wires match up with the new harness, but I still have a couple plugs that aren't connected and a few of the wires aren't the same color. With this in mind, I was wondering if anyone know how/where to get ahold of an 81 and 82 KZ550LTD wiring diagram for me to compare/contrast, then more than likely manually connect all the plugs that don't go mesh with the stock plugs and everything.

Thanks in advance to anyone that has info on this. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

81 KZ550 LTD Wiring woes. 25 Jun 2007 14:36 #152623

• zippoman
  • User
I think you might find what your looking for in the filebase under kz info.

81 KZ550 LTD Wiring woes. 25 Jun 2007 15:50 #152643

• Boombastic86
  • User
I found a bunch of diagrams for the 550 on there. Thank you very much you're a lifesaver lol, I didn't even know this website had that feature, very nice!

81 KZ550 LTD Wiring woes. 25 Jun 2007 20:26 #152710

• Boombastic86
  • User
Hmm.. With a little patience and trial and error with my friend I've got all the dummy lights, headlight, running lights, and brake light going when I flip the switch.

Only thing I'm not getting at this point is the back blinkers, the turn signals in general, and I can't get power to get the bike to start.

First, I THINK there's a difference between the 81 and 82 harness in terms of the turn signals, as the 82 harness has an orange/green wire and there is no orange/green wire to connect to in the 6 pin connector under the gas tank.

Also, is there any difference between 81/82 in the configuration of the starter relay switch? And if so, where is this relay switch located as I've tried on my own and can't trace it. Chalk that one up to my lack of motorcycle knowledge, but at least I'm happy the dummy lights are on now, better than when I started because nothing worked. :cheer:

• Page: