Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

voltage regulator question, part 2 24 Jun 2007 07:47 #152291

• boomboom45
  • boomboom45's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i want to thank everyone who has helped me put this bike back together, its finally done. i have one question though, what would happen to the regulator wires if i somehow got ahold of the wrong one. for example if i put a regulator for a kz750 on a 650?

again, thanks guys for everything.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

voltage regulator question, part 2 24 Jun 2007 10:05 #152308

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
There are some that swap with no problem.

First they have to be the same type. That is, both bike must have the same type of alternator. I believe your 79 650 should have a permanent-magnet alternator (the 77 650 is the only one with an electromagnet alternator).

Next is you have to match the number of phases. I believe your 79 650 uses a single-phase alternator/reg/rec system. You can tell by counting the number of yellow wires on the reg/rec. If there are two, then it's a single phase. If the replacement reg/rec is also single phase then it should work.

There is also one other variation. Some reg/recs use an extra wire to "sense" the voltage on the bike. This extra wire is almost always brown. Some don't have this brown wire. If your original didn't have this brown wire and the replacement does, you just need to run an extra wire to a switched power source. Most of the KZ's use brown to indicate a switched power wire. I don't have a 79 650 D sr diagram, but if you look at the wires from the ignition switch, ther'll probably be a brown one coming out. Verify that this brown has power any time the bike is running. Then use that to feed the brown on the reg/rec. Never run the bike with that brown disconnected and the reg/rec connected.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/06/24 13:07

voltage regulator question, part 2 24 Jun 2007 12:58 #152337

• boomboom45
  • boomboom45's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
ok, so if the original has 4 wires, and the replacement has 4 wires, and the numbers match, it should be fine?

voltage regulator question, part 2 24 Jun 2007 22:38 #152474

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
boomboom45 wrote:

ok, so if the original has 4 wires, and the replacement has 4 wires, and the numbers match, it should be fine?

Most likely yes, as long as the wire colors are similar. That means two yellows, one red and one black. The black may be yellow with black stripe, or black with yellow stripe. The red may be white with red stripe, or red with white stripe, or on the European 650's it may even be a green/red.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/06/25 01:42

• Page: